Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fun with Pedigrees

I've been having fun comparing Pie's pedigree (the pedigree I posted when I got him had a mistake in it - this is the correct one) and Drifter's pedigree.  A somewhat meaningless activity, but fun nevertheless - I've had very few horses whose pedigrees I knew, so this is a treat.  I love learning about the famous QHs of the past, and Pie and Drifter have some great ones in there.

Pie's paternal grandsire goes straight back to Wimpy, who was King Ranch bred and is number 1 in the QH registry:


I think he looks remarkably like Pie in his build and posture.  Pie goes back to Wimpy through Bill Cody:


Pie's paternal grandsire also has Jet Deck (through Jet Charger):


And Three Bars (through Bar Sugar):


(Some of you may remember that my Noble was heavily Three Bars - I have a fondness for this bloodline.)

Pie's paternal granddam goes back to Colonel Freckles:


and Mr. Joe Glo, who was heavily King and Wimpy bred.

Pie's maternal grandsire is heavily speed-bred, going back to Easy Jet (by Jet Deck):


and Top Moon (lots of TB in there):


And Pie's maternal granddam also has a lot of speed breeding - Jet Deck through Easy Jet again, as well as the TB sire Hempen:


and Rebel Cause who goes back to Top Deck, and a touch of Hancock through Pelican.

* * * * * *
Drifter's pedigree is a bit different.  His paternal grandsire goes straight back to Doc Bar (Three Bars again):


and Driftwood (through Driftwood Ike):


Drifter's paternal granddam is Driftwood bred again (through Ciderwood), and has Peppy San:


and a touch of Poco Bueno (through Poco Speedy) - read here about a devastating genetic disease, HERDA, which is most often traced back to Poco Bueno, although occasionally to other horses in Poco Bueno's sire line:


Drifter's maternal grandsire has Jet Deck again (through Jet Stop) and Three Bars, through Sugar Bars:


and Leo:


His maternal granddam has Three Bars again (through Bar Money) as well as Hank H:


(Many of these photos are taken from a fun website called Quarter Horse Legends.)

Something else that's interesting is to calculate the percentage of TB in each horse - this is pretty easy to do using the All Breed Pedigree Finder, although when calculating percentages the fact that a horse is identified as a QH doesn't mean there isn't TB back in there - sometimes a lot of TB.  This list is helpful if you're doing the calculation - although it's the percentage of QH, i.e. not TB, so you have to subtract the number shown from 100% to get the percentage QH.  Many QHs have a fair amount of TB through a number of famous sires, including Three Bars who was 100% TB.

Pie and Drifter come out very close - as best I can calculate, Pie is 31% TB (although this may be a bit understated as I don't have full information about his granddam) and Drifter is 30%.  My Noble was 35%.  But the breakdown is quite different:

Pie:       paternal grandsire 11% TB
             paternal granddam 3% TB, so sire is 7% TB

             maternal grandsire 47% TB
             maternal granddam 66% TB(!), so dam is 56% TB

Drifter:  paternal grandsire is 38% TB
             paternal granddam is 4% TB, so sire is 21% TB

             maternal grandsire is 40% TB
             maternal granddam is 38% TB, so dam is 39% TB

Good fun on a cold winter day!

* * * * * *
Yesterday when I was at the barn in the middle of the day checking on the recalcitrant electrical outlet powering the tank heaters, I caught Pie taking a nap - he was stretched out flat on his side in the hay next to the round bale while the other geldings continued to eat - he was the picture of relaxation.  While I was checking the outlet, he got up and shook the snow off his blanket and continued eating.

17 comments:

  1. gosh Kate you have found some really beautiful horses in your pedigree research. How nice to know your horses come from such fabulous stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much on pedigrees myself, but it certainly is fun to look at your horse's ancestors.

    I always think you can't ride a pedigree....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love some of those old horses, like Leo and Wimpy.

    Daltrey is the only one of mine whose breeding I can trace. I know Jaz's history back to when he was a weanling, but nothing of Poco prior to his previous owner. I wonder all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vintage photos and the info! I check out my TB's pedigree on equineline.com but I never saw photos. That is so cool that you found all those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stuff - how cool to see those famous QH names on your boy(s) pedigrees! I keep meaning to sit down and learn more about the QH (and maybe appy!) pedigrees but never seem to have the motivation to get into it...

    I wish I new Rusty's pedigree info - he is registered, but his papers are long lost by a previous owner going through a divorce...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love researching bloodlines... although I'm more of a warmblood girl and have learned a lot about the Selle Francais since getting Panache. Silly Pie, one of those "dead horse" moments when laying out flat for a nap. Love it when they're so content they can do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got some quality horses there, Kate. They've got a lot of Three Bars without a speck of Impressive. Drifter's lines are similar to my Gwen's, she goes to Poco Bueno through Zippo Pine Bar. I bet he's going to be quick on his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool. I've never looked at any of my horse's pedigrees like that, but maybe I will now. Those are beautiful ancestors--you can see what they're the greats.

    My daughter's palomino QH is registered QH and Foundation QH. Although, I never looked into the requirements for foundation---I think you have to prove a high percentage is QH--but how would you ever do that since so many go back to TB?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to look up pedigrees. I've only personally had 4 horses with papers. Blue, Dusty, Lifeguard and Erik(dutch warmblood). The warmbloods are easy but the QH's have such a long lineage they seem to go back forever. Dusty and Blue can be traced back to the 1700's. I find it amazing they kept records that long ago.

    It's a fun way to spend a winter day and Pie and Drifter both have some wonderful horses in their lines. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love digging through pedigrees. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my - look at the behind on Leo ;)

    Val scared the pants off some construction workers the other day... laid out "dead horse" style - which he does quite often. I've had a few phone calls about him lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The half-Arabian colt I bred for reining goes to some of these horses (Doc Bar, Leo, Poco Bueno so I actually know who you're talking about including King and Hancock breeding. Scares me sometimes how much I am learning about QH pedigrees. ;-)

    My security word is dement. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. put that boy on some cows! You keep saying you want to!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was breeding horses I did a ton of research on pedigrees. While I agree, you can't ride the *piece of paper that their pedigree is on*, I still think a pedigree itself is very much applicable to the type of horse a person wants to ride. A Sonny Dee Bar horse is going to (typically) be more laid-back than a Rocket Wrangler horse. I've been knocked out by a flighty Mr Yella Fella colt, while I could ride my Leo/Jackie Bee bred colt in a halter and bareback through a public park when he was two. Mr Conclusion horses are extremely intelligent but can be temperamental if not handled correctly. Breeding matters with mind, movement, conformation, and soundness. There's one horse in particular who is hugely popular, but his foals have tons of leg issues, so I choose to never, ever own one.

    Pedigrees also matter a lot when breeding horses because some lines are better when found in the bottom of the pedigree, or in the top side of the pedigree. For example, Mr Trouble Step mares with his name in the maternal line tend to be amazing performance producers. Do Do Chick crossed with Page Impressive yielded amazing results time and time again. Red Sonny Dee and Mr Norfleet lines crossed to create many Paint all-round champions.

    I'll stop now LOL. I could go on for days.... Genetics and pedigrees are so fascinating. While a horse shouldn't be judged solely on a pedigree, you can increase the chances of breeding/buying just the right horse by looking at their lineage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you mention King Ranch. Do you mean our previous Governor Bruce King's Ranch here in Stanley, New Mexico?

    I have just one word for that Leo horse.....WOW!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa - I think the King ranch I'm thinking about was in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate & Lisa, the King Ranch is still in Kingsville, TX. I've been there and may be going again in Feb. to visit my parents. It's quite an interesting place detailing all the horses that came from there! You have some of the same lines in your horses that I do Kate and I find it fun to read about them as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.