Friday, January 21, 2011

Pie is Endearing, Norman is Cute and a Link on Clicker

Last night, wind chills got down to -25F (-32C), so Pie was in his stall for the night.  Today, due to our lack of shelters in the dry lots, the horses will probably be stuck inside for most of the day.  Wind chills are supposed to creep up to the -5F range by the end of the day, so the horses may get a brief time to run around before coming back in.  Pie did get a very quick turnout with Scout while his stall was being cleaned, and I was pleased to see him drink from the heated water trough as he doesn't drink much from his heated stall bucket.

* * * * * *
It was already plenty cold and the wind was picking up yesterday afternoon as I walked to the barn - it's a couple of hundred yards from my house.  As I came over the hill in sight of the barn, I whistled to the horses and they all left the round bales and galloped to their gates to be brought in - they were cold and ready.  When I went to get Dawn, the three mares put on quite a display - rolling, leaping, bucking, kicking and galloping. I managed to keep them all out of my space and got Dawn's halter on.  Although she was pretty up, she was good once the lead was on.

The geldings were uncharacteristically well-behaved.  They seem quite happy in very close physical proximity to one another, and were all lined up at the gate.  Our p.m. barn lady was getting Pie when I walked up there, and said that when she took his halter off the gate, he stepped forward - he seemed to recognize that the halter she'd selected was his - I wouldn't put it past him.

I think many, even most, horses have endearing traits.  Pie seems to have many and I just discovered a new one.  When I took him in his stall, I reminded him where his heated water bucket was by dipping out some water in my hand and holding it out to him.  He drank it, and I did it again - he would lap it up and if there was a decent amount of water in my hand he would purse his lips and suck it up.  We did this for a bit - I found it very charming for some reason.  Sweet Pie!

* * * * * *
And, now from warmer climes, here's a picture of Norman the pony enjoying life at Paradigm Farms (thanks for the picture, Melissa!):


* * * * * *
And, finally, if you have interest in clicker training, here's a good post from stalecheerios on improving your clicker skills.

15 comments:

  1. Awww I have had horses who would drink from my hand like that. It's so cute. Pie sounds like a total darling. I love the picture of Norman too. LOL I just got done reading that article at Stale Cheerios lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little Pie stories. He sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are having some really cold weather. It will be great when Spring comes around.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spider likes to drink beer out of my hands like that. It's gotten to where he comes over to beg any time he sees me outside with a beer (what a lush!). I think if I tried to offer him water he would be offended. *L*

    Thanks for that link, I've been reading up on clicker training. I'm thinking of trying it with my pony. She's way to smart for her own good and very motivated by food rewards, I think she would respond well to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! That is very, very cold. I don't blame the horses for wanting to be inside.

    Pie continues to work on his cuteness quotient. He seems to up it every day.

    I've been giving my Boys very wet feeds at late night. Hot water, beet pulp, and their pellets make me feel better. I think they appreciate it because they seem to really slurp it up. I don't have buckets in their stalls unless I have to lock them in for some reason. They drink from the heated trough as Pie does. But I do have the heated buckets if I need them. Water consumption is always a worry in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Pie is very cute! I agree with your 'endearing' label.
    Thanks for the clicker link. I've been practicing what I taught our two older horses a few years ago and starting with my younger horse Rogo. It works so fast - it's really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow I cant believe your temperatures. Its just not heard of where I live.We think we are hard done by when it gets to -5c

    ReplyDelete
  8. Norman looks like he's enjoying himself immensely in the warmer climate.

    Pie is such a sweetie. Hope you warm up to our temps soon. We're about 15-25 and just got another 6 inches of snow. This is getting old fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand my gelding, Clyde, used to lap up beer that way... not much of a beer drinker myself but I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would find Pie endearing too. It's like.. a bonding moment. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that Pie!!! What a sweet boy. He is just one of those kind, loving horses that are smart and perfect! Lucky you, lucky Pie for finding each other!

    Thanks for the clicker link - heading over to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Panama also likes to drink from my hand! I have a shiny metal water bottle, and he was always very interested in it, possibly because he saw me drinking out of it all the time. I started pouring water from the bottle into my hand and offering it to him, and a couple of times I even gave him Sprite in my hand like that. (Only a little bit!) As a result, he perks up now anytime he sees anyone with a bottle, cup, or can. He's just like a dog -- he wants to try anything I'm eating or drinking, too! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interestingly enough, our horses did NOT like the heated water trough. It took me awhile to figure out exactly why, but I finally realized that the problem was the temperature difference (although slight) on their sensitive muzzles.
    For awhile I would plug it in just long enough to thaw the ice, but ultimately we just stopped using them. Of course being in South Alabama, it's not nearly as cold here as it is at your house...-25?? Brrr :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the picture of Norman rolling! He looks like a very happy little pony.


    And thanks for linking to my blog, I appreciate it!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww Pie is a sweetie. And that Norman looks like a puppy rolling.

    Apache will drink out of my hand sometimes, too. She will lick me all over and nuzzle my hair. If I'm wearing a hat, she sometimes gets playful and tries to take it off. It's really cute. My favorite endearing thing she does, is when I ask her for a kiss, and she places her muzzle up to my face so I can kiss her on the nose. Awww!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.