Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dawn and Pie Mix It Up and Snowed In

Here's a funny story involving Dawn and Pie from Jill's blog Buckskin and Bay that happened during delivery of round bales yesterday.  Who knew he had it in him - I'll bet Dawn was surprised!

* * * * * *
We're in the middle of one of the biggest snowstorms in years in the Chicago region.  We had blizzard conditions last night with very heavy snow and winds gusting to almost 60 mph.  Things are pretty much locked down - the plows are out but most of the roads are impassable.  I think we got about 18 inches of snow, but it's hard to tell with all the drifting. The winds are supposed to drop a bit and the snow will end by afternoon.  Then comes the cold - they're predicting a temperature of -13F (-25C) overnight with wind chills in the -30 to -40F range (that's -35 to -40C).  Tomorrow the wind chills aren't supposed to get anywhere near zero, so the horses will be in all day and the following night.

I live about 200 yards from the barn, so I slogged over there  - driving was out of the question - to feed and check on the horses this morning.  All the horses, including Pie, are inside. All was well - we've got plenty of square bales and feed, and the power is on and the water is working.  (While I as walking, I encountered one of our next-door organic farmers - they're just across the road from the barn - she was out checking on road conditions - and she said that their greenhouses survived the night, which was very good news.) I fed and made sure all the horses had hay and water for the morning.  The manure spreader is buried under the 4-foot drift that's outside the barn door, and the "emergency" manure pile is not reachable, so I just picked my stalls and piled the manure in the corner for later - I expect we'll start a new pile elsewhere.  Some serious shoveling will be required to clear the barn doors and reach the turnouts and paddocks, but we're waiting until noontime to begin that work.  Once that's done, I'm hoping the horses can get a brief turnout before things get too cold.

Hope all of you affected by this storm are warm and safe.

15 comments:

  1. Snow day here, too...I don't think anyone made it into the office today. The only trudging I did was out to my bird feeders to ensure the birds had food! Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one heck of a storm. A friend's daughter lives in Chicago and she was describing the 40+ mph winds. I can imagine the wind and the drifts, as we get that, but we haven't had more than 2 or 3" of snow at a time this year.

    Just think of all of the neat things to be found when all of that snow finally melts!

    Good luck to everyone who is snowed in. Stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the blizzard we had over Christmas. I sympathize. That kind of snow just wears you out in the battle.

    Funny story about Pie and Dawn. He is one brave boy to take her on like that. I'm surprised she backed down. I guess she met her match. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got about 2 inches of snow and about 10 degree weather. That's a bad winter for us here in New Mexico. Our horses are out 24/7 but they have stalls they can go into if they choose. I'm glad the groundhog didn't see his shadow this morning. I'm looking forward to Spring.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Pie! I take it he's feeling better from his carb fest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep safe! Hope it doesnt come over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pie has hidden strengths :)
    Glad you're making it through the storm okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking a lot about my blogger friends who are caught in that big storm. I'm glad you and your animals weathered it well. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone is safe and warm! The situation isn't ideal (my dogs were whining all day yesterday wondering why I was home and yet we couldn't be outside playing) but as I kept reminding them, the important thing is we're all warm, safe, and well-fed :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knew Pie could be such a bad boy taking on Dawn like that!!

    I do not envy you all the extra work you have waiting to dig out from the snow. I thought I was going to die last winter when I had to traipse around in 6" of crusty snow for 5 days, it is amazing how much extra energy it takes to walk around in snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds exactly like the storm we had after Christmas. Sure makes life miserable. We had some snow yesterday and then to add insult to injury a pretty good ice storm. Enough is enough. Stay warm and safe.

    Like the story of Pie and Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Pie - who knew?!?
    Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've had a real storm here too. I think some people are getting weary of all this snow and cold. There is quite a coating of ice on the house, that's for sure. All the horses though, see just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got so involved in the Pie and Dawn story over at Bucksin and Bay that I forgot to say to you -

    Keep warm! My thoughts have been with you all day. I am so sorry about your snow and hope you stay safe and warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheesh! I'm glad it wasn't that bad here. I'm glad everyone is okay. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.