Friday, February 11, 2011

Horses Are Out! and More on Breathing

At last, the horses are out all day! It was 4F (-15C) this morning with no wind - just a beautiful morning as the sun came up.  The horses were all delighted to get out right after breakfast, and every lady and gentleman led perfectly to the dry lots even though it was their first morning out in days.  We're supposed to have rising temperatures through the next several days, so maybe there'll be some riding in my future.  I'm also sure that Pie will enjoy being back in his paddock at night rather than confined in a stall.

Poor Scout is getting turned out in Pie's paddock during the day for at least the next several days.  While Jill had Scout and Pie turned out together in the arena while she was cleaning her stall yesterday, they were playing halter tag and had each other's halters.  At one point when Scout let go of Pie's halter, Pie's nose rebounded and whacked Scout where his cut behind the corner of his eye had been stitched up.  The cut started bleeding again, and it clearly hurt Scout.  So he's having to stay by himself for a few days until things heal up a little more.

For those who may be interested, Shinyfluff (nice screen name!) and I have been having a conversation about breathing in the comments section of my old post "On Breathing" (this post is also on the sidebar under Other Favorites).

13 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad the horses are returning to normal. Maybe that'll be your last really cold spell. I'll have to check out the discussion on breathing. I've found when I'm playing piano and I get nervous, I stop breathing (normally)--it really messes me up. I play the flute, too--and same issue, but much more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the horses got time out. It sucks when they're stuck inside.

    Too bad that Scout got reinjured. I'm sure he won't be happy in solitary.

    The weathermen here seem to think that winter might be breaking soon. I sure hope they're right for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must feel good for them to get out and stetch their long beautiful legs. It must not feel so good to have your sticthes break open. Poor Scout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! Poor Scout. Those ornry boys don't know when it's not a good time to roughhouse....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cold snap was nasty wasn't it?!?!

    I am glad we have a little warmer temp now. Heading out to the barn myself shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for the horses. Being out is certainly better than being cooped up in the stalls.

    Scout is still on his unlucky streak. Hope he gets over it soon. Maybe "third tims's a charm."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm glad they get to go outside. I bet they are so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really surprised you didn't solve the turn-out problem by simply removing halters when turning the horses out. Then the boys can play bite-face all they want without risking either one grabbing onto a halter and causing injury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous - very good point - I almost never turn horses out with halters on for that reason and so the halters can't get caught on anything - but then you'll note in the post that it wasn't I who turned them out at that time - it was someone else and I wasn't around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Scout. I hope he heals well. Geldings!

    I popped over there and re-read your post about breathing. I love that post and the comments.

    I have changed my breathing when tacking up the "alligator" Sovey. It has made all the difference. I was holding my breath when I tightened the girth and he would pin his ears and try to bite. Now, I breath out softly as I slowly tighten one billet, and he keeps his ears forward. If I am talking and forget, he reminds me:( so no more talking!

    I think my singing when a horse is scared is another breathing trick to keep the exhale even.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as it starts to warm up today, blankets are coming off for the first time in more than a week. Can't wait to see what's under there, she says sarcastically.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're expecting glorious weather for a few days, too. Hooray!
    When I went to the barn yesterday I couldn't help but think of Scout. Doc has a fairly large abrasion right next to his eye - no actual cut, though. I was glad that he didn't need stitches as did Scout.
    When it comes to turning them out...I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. If they are separated, they play over and through the fence. Oh, OK, I get it, I need to keep a paddock in between them - no, no...they'd hate that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.