Friday, February 25, 2011

More Great Posts

Here's a couple more great posts for your February reading and thinking pleasure.

First, here's a follow-on post to the ones I linked to earlier this week (see this post of mine for those links), again from Linda at Beautiful Mustang.  Really good stuff.  I'm planning on putting together a sidebar with some of these posts so I can easily refer back to them.

And here's a post from Amanda at S.M.A.A.R.T. Horses that's about some issues that can arise in clicker training, and how to deal with them - but even if you don't do or have never done clicker, there are some pretty powerful ideas about working with horses in there that aren't specific to clicker.

* * * * * *
Pie and I got in a quick ride yesterday - the wind was fierce but temperatures were above freezing so we just did it.  There wasn't too much we could do - the footing is terrible in most places and the trails are unusable - but we did spend about 15 minutes walking around on the field behind the barn and doing some figure work, including some turns on the haunches.  That boy sure has his neck reining down - all I have to do is touch his neck with the rein and turn my eyes to the side and he's right on it.  So far he's soft, soft, soft at the slightest touch - he came that way from the great start he'd had with his old man.  Can't say I've had this experience before - every horse I've every had has come to me with a lot of braces built in.

I'm hoping for another (sort of) ride today.

7 comments:

  1. Well, you did your homework when you horse-shopped, and now your reward is Pie. It's hard for me to believe he ever got to be advertised. Usually, horses like that either get kept forever or are scooped up by someone who hears they're for sale. And, he's young! You're brave/tough for getting out there and riding in the cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post by Amanda. Treat delivery and rope handling are integral to clicker training. You won't be successful if you don't get them right. That is the reason why Alex incorporates rope handling skills into every (or nearly every) clinic she does.

    You'd be very familiar with this Kate, her rope work ties right into your softening philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - it seems odd to me too - but his owner said that people who came and looked were scared off by how young he is - he's certainly not bombproof and not finished with his training either although he's got a great foundation. He's also a bit lightly/narrowly built for a QH and he's got a head that some people might find unattractive - I think his head looks great, sort of rough and ready, but even his owner said "he won't win any prizes for beauty". I've learned that beauty is as beauty does and he's beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Pie. You two are troupers!

    We are getting hit so hard today with whiteouts, high winds and snow. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori - no, we were lucky this time - it swung south of us on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the post about how we transmit our energy down the lead rope.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are able to ride Pie in spite of this horrid weather. Our wind is picking up right now following a morning of rain. I could ride Sovey, but my Pie just isn't your Pie!

    You sure got a winner with that boy. He wasn't taken because he was meant to be yours.

    Great posts - thanks for letting us know about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.