Friday, February 25, 2011

Yin/Yang

Pie and I managed to get in another nice ride today.  The temperature was a little above freezing and there was almost no wind.  The snow and ice are melting, but the footing is still terrible except in the grassy area behind the barn.  We made good use of it, though.  We did some walk work using our cones, including figures and some more softening work.  He has more trouble softening when we're tracking right, and also finds it hard to flex his neck in that direction.  He's got some tight muscles on the left side of his neck, and I need to do more stretches and massage with him to help these relax.  He also frequently rests his left hind foot when standing, and I expect that may be related to the neck issues - he's not at all off or lame but I expect the stiff neck puts some strain on areas in his back and hindquarters.  Our chiropractor will be able to help with that.

We were also able to do some good work at the trot - transitions - the downwards ones are particularly nice - all I have to do is think "walk" or "halt" and breath out and he's right there.  We did some figure work and also some circles, and a figure I call "yin/yang" - it looks just like the yin yang symbol, doing circles with nice S shapes through the center to change directions:


It's a nice exercise, particularly when your space is limited as ours was today.  I wasn't using cones for that one, although you could put cones where the dots are.

Pie was very relaxed and responsive today and it was great to get in a ride - good Pie!

8 comments:

  1. You are having so much fun with him. I wonder how Drifter will change that dynamic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a nice ride in. I'll bet Pie is too :)

    Thanks for the great links in the last few posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's weird. I was considering a post on the horse and human relationship as yin/yang, but I was still putting my thoughts together on it....then I saw this picture come up on my sidebar! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good exercise. You can add a bit to it by asking for a little leg yield into the new outside rein as you change the bend. That helps supple the horse's body all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Yes, I recognize the "Yin-Yang" - thanks for putting a name to that type of figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a nice ride. I've done the Yin Yang in a dressage lesson and remember thinking it must be impossible lol. When I finally got it I was so proud of myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you got in a ride. Dusty and I do the same exercise with leg yields and she seems to do really well with this. Pie is such a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's interesting that Pie frequently rests his left hind, Cassie does the same with her right hind and I've been wondering about that, because there is no trace of lameness. I never even thought that it might be related to neck issues. Thank you for sharing that, I'll have to get the chiropractor out again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.