Sunday, March 6, 2011

Finally a Decent Trail Ride

Pie and I joined up with Charisma today for a nice trail ride - our first to really go out since January 26.  There were areas we couldn't travel across because of ice, but there were some nice stretches that were clear.  Charisma was pretty up, but Pie was quite relaxed and very well-behaved whether he was in the lead or following.  We only were out for about 30 minutes which was just as well - the temperature was about 30F but there was a bit of wind, so the wind chills were in the low 20s.

While Charisma was getting ready, Pie and I did some work on the grassy field behind the barn - the footing's pretty good there - with some figure work and walk/trot work.  At one point all the mares took off galloping - Pie just looked and didn't do anything.  My husband was walking down the road by the barn on his way home, and Pie wanted to go out and say hi so we did.  My husband was carrying a bag of caramel popcorn, and Pie thought that was pretty interesting - I think if I hadn't been there he would have mugged my husband for it!  (No popcorn for Pie - I worry about choke with that.)

It was a very good horse day - as the weather improves I hope we'll have lots more.

11 comments:

  1. It must have felt great to get out on a trail ride after all that time, even if it was pretty cold. I can't wait for the snow to melt!
    Pie is such a good boy. He's so young and yet so sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Betty and I are going to work with our horses tomorrow for the first time since before Christmas because of my surgery. We're going to start with a week of ground work. We all need that tune up before getting back into the saddle, hopefully next week.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmmm horses and popcorn. That would be fun to see their faces munching on that caramel corn combo. Good thing you saved your husband from a mugging. Glad to hear you are out and about on the trails. Hope the cold weather soon goes.
    We had our first dump of snow on the mountain. It made this morning a bit colder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got out yesterday and today, as well: sunshine, temps in the low 40s, no wind. It felt good! Here's to spring's eminent arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The change in the weather is especially welcome this year. So happy you could get out and so proud of "our" Pie for being such a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Pie! Please send some of that weather this way....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to get out for a real trail ride even if it was a bit cold and windy. I'm sure Pie enjoyed himself too, even if he didn't get any popcorn.(I'd worry about choke too).

    ReplyDelete
  8. 50's and sunshine for us this week--woohoo! Back in the saddle--finally. That Pie is a wonderful boy--I love to read about him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, Glad you had a nice ride! Pie is so curious- what a wonderful trait for a horse to have. And spring is just around the corner, hopefully....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how you handle such long and cold winters. Brr. I was in the fifties today and it was soooo cold to me. Spring will get here someday . . .

    Glad you had a fun trail ride. You must be so proud of Pie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.