Friday, March 25, 2011

A Good Roll, Goat Attack and Worming

I turned Drifter out in the arena to stretch his legs this afternoon.  He moseyed around a bit, then decided the damp sand was just right for some good rolling:










And then, he saw the goat . . . .  much running around ensued:






I had a fecal test done on Pie and Drifter, and Pie came back negative - he was negative in the fall - and Drifter came back as a low shedder with some strongyles.  I wormed him with Equimax at our vet's recommendation - it's one version of an ivermectin plus praziquantel dewormer - and we'll do another fecal in three weeks as well as making sure his paddock is thoroughly cleaned every day so he doesn't reinfect himself.  For more details on what we're up to with our deworming program, check out this post.   Until we do the next fecal, he'll stay separate from the other horses - since both Dawn and Pie were negative, it's a pretty good assumption that all of our horses are negative.  I also e-mailed Drifter's former owner so she could deworm her small herd, as it's likely they're infected too.

It's increasingly clear that I need to take things very slowly with Drifter.  I need to ask him to work, but do so in a way that gives him the opportunity to be successful and doesn't result in too much tussling.  After a week, he's still pretty nervous and reactive and leading him isn't easy - I'm having to get big too often to keep him from mowing me down, which means I'm pushing his limits too much, too early.  I need to dial things down a bit, and if that means all we do for a week is stand around in the parking lot right next to the barn door, that's what we need to do.  I need to let go of expectations and just move as slowly as he needs me to go.  This may result in faster progress in the long run.  I'm also going to consider putting him on some magnesium oxide as a supplement - this often helps nervous horses - if he were getting grain, which he isn't, I'd consider B-1 as a supplement.

22 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Nothing more fun than watching a horse roll -- such enjoyment. I agree with your patience for Drifter. It will pay off in the long run.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drifter is one nice looking horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great header photo! What a good looking horse.

    I had Gwen on B-1 for months, it didn't even touch her. The only thing that works for her is 24/7 turnout.

    I'd venture to guess Drifter just runs hot. It seems some Three Bars lines tend to go that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right and much slow work until he's not so nervous will probably do the trick. Once he's more comfortable in his new surroundings I'm sure he'll be easier to work with.
    He's a beautiful horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Terry--that's one hunk of a Quarter Horse butt! And he rolled all the way over on both sides--some say that's a sign of a very athletic horse.
    It's good that you can take your time with him (especially nice that you have Pie to ride in the meantime!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. ***LOOK AT THAT TROT!!!!!*** Love his rolling you got some great action pictures =) He's got me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to roll in the sand! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slow but sure. He is a beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The picture of him rolling flat on his back -- he looks like he is doing a sit up! Priceless!! And he looks like he has a very nice trot; really reaching under.
    I completely agree with your approach. Slow gets you further in the long run - and with a relaxed horse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drifter is so handsome! I love watching a horse roll around, he looks like he was really enjoying himself. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous butt he has. I used SmartCalm from SmartPak on my reactive TWH, worked super for him. Saw results in just days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like a child before Christmas, I simply can't wait to see how he turns out! I have high hopes for him, he's so beautiful and very smart indeed! A battle of wits=smart horse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure looks like he enjoyed that roll!Nice to see you are doing fecals before worming . Way wiser program , that to assume they all need the same product on the same schedule

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate, he sounds in many ways like my Panama, and I think slow work is exactly what he needs. Every time I've moved Panama to a different barn, I've had to give him some time to acclimate before I ask him to work -- and that's despite the fact that we already have a good working relationship. Drifter needs to get to know you and his new surroundings at the same time, which I imagine is infinitely harder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan - I've ordered some MMX from HorseTech - I'll have to call SmartPak and find out what form the magnesium in SmartCalm is - apparently magnesium oxide is best. MMX also has B vitamins and also tryptophan - SmartPak has Bs too but not the tryptophan. Dawn is on a custom magnesium (oxide), chromium, selenium supplement for insulin resistance and that has also had some calming effects on her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you find some horses need more time to settle in? I used to think every horse needed 30 days to just be in a place, but then I'd see some horses worked roight away and they did fine. Others, notsomuch.

    Darn handsome, that one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That trot looks super!!

    I have a feeling that turnout with the other horses is going to help Drifter too. When he sees that they don't react to everything, the herd dynamic will kick in and he'll settle even more.

    Meantime, your calm and cool training approach should work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with everyone else--he has a wonderful QH hind. He's a good-looking horse. It's probably a good idea to take it slow and let him settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drifter is sure enthusiastic with his rolling; he knows how to reach all the itchy spots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That boy is built! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like he's thrilled to be out :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous shots. He looks like a really nice mover. :) I hope things are going better with Drifter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.