Today was about like yesterday - 30sF with some wind so the wind chills were in the 20s. But it felt pretty good to us, so it was a good day for a ride. Pie and I went out with Charisma for about an hour, after doing a lot of walk/trot work behind the barn while waiting for Charisma to be ready - at a point later on in our ride we met up with Sugar who had gone out before and she joined us. We stayed on trails that were mostly ice-free - there were a couple of spots where we had to detour into the street to avoid icy patches.
At one point, we were coming around past a wooded area and then past a wetland - a Great Blue Heron flew up right in front of us. All the horses were startled, but no one spun or bolted and all riders stayed on. All the horses calmed right down afterwards.
It was a really nice ride, enjoyed by all. As soon as the arena dries out a bit, Dawn and I will be back to work - she's been looking like she's interested in working again after her winter off. And I may trailer the two horses I'm taking to the Mark Rashid clinic in May to our dentist, who lives about 40 minutes away, to get them done in late April (he's not planning to come to our barn until June) - now, is it Pie and Dawn, or Pie and Drifter . . .?