Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vet Check and Exploring

Drifter has passed the first step in his vet check.  The vet called me when he was done and we went over the results together.  His flex tests were excellent and he had no response to hoof testers - these are all very good indications.  There were only a few minor things (all horses have them) - he tends to carry his left hind slightly to the inside when he moves, although he doesn't toe out or in and the leg swings straight.  This could be just the way he's built - many horses have some asymmetry - or it could be a matter of unequal muscle development.  He, like Pie, also travels a little bit narrow behind.  The vet and I aren't too concerned about this since the flex tests were good and his hoof shape (and therefore loading) are normal - no flare or distortion in the hoof capsule.  He also appeared to stand with his front legs slightly underneath his body at rest, which could indicate that he is slightly behind at the knees, although the vet said he was fidgeting so much it was hard to see - his impatience and fidgeting are one of the first things we'll be working on once he gets here.  (I can see a lot of ground tying, standing tied and just standing around in our immediate future.) For what I'm intending to use him for, neither of these conformation flaws are likely to present any issues.  If the x-rays on Monday are within normal parameters for a horse of his age, we'll be all set.  He's supposed to arrive on Saturday afternoon - I'm looking forward to that.

* * * * * *
Pie and I have been doing some exploring - he's a curious horse and seems to enjoy this.  When we're out riding, if he sees something he'd like to explore more closely, if he asks to go that way I generally say yes by actively directing him to go in that direction - that way I'm still providing direction although he gets to express some opinions.  When we've looked, I also try to provide the signal to leave - if he asks to leave, I ask him to stay for a moment and then direct him away.  I like his independence but I also want to be the one with the final say as to how and when we move.  I also like to give him the time to stop and look at things rather than just rushing him along.

On our Monday trail ride with Charisma, Pie wanted to go investigate the chicken farming area.  This is a large plastic hoop house with a fenced yard around it where free-range chickens live.  It's down a track about 50 yards from the trail we ride by on.  Pie and I went down there and stood for a while so he could take things in - as we were standing there the chickens came pouring out of their hoop house into their yard, with much clucking - I guess having an equine visitor isn't an everyday occurrence for them.  Pie found this very interesting.

Then yesterday, Pie and I went on a short excursion through the farm buildings at the organic farm - lots to look at there - buildings, equipment, people, vehicles.  Pie seemed to thoroughly enjoy it and we stopped and looked at things several times.  He was giving a good hard look at the lawn by the farmhouse where the geldings had their escapade a few days ago, and wanted to go over there, but I said no - there were already too many hoofprints on the lawn.

Looks like another good riding day today, so I'm off to the barn.

18 comments:

  1. Im super excited for you regarding Drifter! Hope all pans out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Drifter, bet you can't wait until Saturday. How exciting!

    I think it's good to go exploring with the horses. Pie is taking advantage of his curiousness and learning lessons too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very exciting about Drifter! I can't wait to "meet" him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the news remains good on Drifter , looking forward to seeing him at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh how exciting! Drifter arrives in just a few days!! Vet check sounds good to me too - No horse is perfect and he seems to not have any deal breaker type issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you and pie sound like you're having a lot of fun, he sounds very similar to oscar. he's really curious too and likes to ask if we can go look at things in the same way pie does, it's really sweet!

    and i have missed a lot! i'm about to read through some other posts to find out more about drifter, though he sounds like he'll be good fun to read about, with his training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news about Drifter ! Glad you're getting a lot of good rides in =) The clouds and rain have finally moved on here and we've got sunshine, but it's too wet to ride =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to Drifter's arrival!

    I sometimes let Chance "choose" the trail, but, like you, I always do the actual steering. No reason to let him think he is in charge. I like it when my horse want to go sightseeing. Makes the ride more interesting for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very exciting about Drifter!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Curiosity is something I love about horses. I find those that are more curious are just fun to ride with.

    Keeping fingers crossed for drifter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very exciting news, Kate. Best of luck on the x-rays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the good vet check!

    Tonka likes to explore too. I think it makes it a lot more fun to have a riding partner who is also enjoying himself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for great flexion tests. Lets hope the xrays are good. Am thrilled you and Pie are having fun exploring

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, Drifter's coming! So excited for you!

    RE Pie: Isn't it great to ride a curious horse? My Dal was curious like that, I saw a ton of things with him that I never would have otherwise. One day we wandered into the woods and found a wiccan circle. That was interesting- but we didn't stay there long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very excited about Drifter's arrival in a couple of days - please post lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My farrier always says you wouldn't want to ride a perfectly straight horse. Can't wait to read about Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear about the vet check. Ozzy is crooked like that. Just bad conformation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet Drifter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.