Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dawn Trots and Drifter Improves

There was a chance of rain today, but it held off, and temperatures were in the 40sF with not much wind.

It was another good day with all three horses.  Dawn and I did more pattern work and started back with some trot work, using the pattern to work on our walk/trot/walk transitions - we did the straight lines between the cones at the trot and the curves or circles around the cones at the walk.  She did great.

Then Drifter and I had a good work session.  We worked at the walk, and focussed on giving softly in the turns, halting from the walk on a one in pressure, maintaining a nice walk without rushing, and maintaining straightness between the cones - it's amazing what you can do with just 4 cones.  We also did some walking over poles. By the end of our session, he was doing very well and was more relaxed and soft, despite the distractions of Charisma in the arena and the other horses in the pastures.  I e-mailed his prior owner to let her know we'd just had our 5th ride, and that I was very much enjoying him.

Finally, Pie and I had a nice long-and-low walking session, including using some ground poles to help him work on using his core and relaxing his top line without having to use the bridle to ask him to soften.

Once my three are working harder and longer, I'll probably transition to a schedule where each horse works three days and then has one day off (sometimes rain will do that for us anyway), which means that I'll usually be working two horses each day except for a few days with three.  This will give each of them some rest and processing time, which is important for learning.

6 comments:

  1. All good work with the three horses again. It's very rewarding to be able to work them consistently. Hope the weather holds out for you and them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are going be very busy working all those horses regularly. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like they're all doing well with your consistency, and it sounds like you're having fun with them, too. I use 3 barrels--and you can get a lot done with those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are going to be busy. Inspires me to get out work my 3 horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOunds like a great session. I admire your energy - I can't seem to work two horses let alone three.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.