Friday, May 27, 2011

Back at Work

Today was the first nice weather day we've had in a while - although it was still chilly and windy.  Pie and I took two hand walks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon - he was very good for both, including when all the horses in the pastures came stampeding up and then stampeded away.  I also rode him for about 15 minutes in the arena at the walk.  He was fairly up, and decided to spook and throw a small buck when a group of children came running by.  Tomorrow he'll get to go out in the morning for a bit in the (almost dry lot) Drift paddock, and I'll increase his time every day.  I've also started bringing my horses - Dawn and Drift - in early, at about 2 p.m. to avoid the highest sugars in our very lush, profuse grass - they've both looking over-stuffed in the evenings.

I worked on my "prescriptions" from the clinic with both Drift and Dawn. Dawn and I had a nice ride, despite her being in raging (lean on the fence and try to knock it down) heat.  We worked a lot at the trot, focussing on consistency of softening and shortening and lengthening at the trot.  Drift and I also did a lot of trot work, and although he offered to canter a couple of times, he was able to come back and continue trotting, and by the end of our session his trot was pretty nice.

It was a very good day with horses.

5 comments:

  1. A good day for everyone, you and the horses. Hope your weather warms up, we had 90 today and humid. Too soon for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good work with all three. Bucking Pie?

    The grass problem is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trotting is the best training gait, I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. I'm glad to hear Pie is still doing well. He's such a sweetie.

    Hot here too. Might actually be able to swim this afternoon if the water is not too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it odd how some horses can just gorge on the grass with no issues and some just have to look at it, and react. ugh.
    Pie seems to be feeling better...a buck!!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.