Sunday, May 15, 2011

Heavy Blankets in Mid-May

The wind chills are going to be in the 20sF tonight and tomorrow night - temperatures will be in the 30s with wind gusts over 30mph - and Pie and Drift have to go outside to the paddocks tonight, otherwise Pie has no opportunity for turnout.  If Pie had a place to go in the day, they could be out in the day and in on bad weather nights like tonight, but the dry lot paddock isn't available during the day since it's occupied by another horse - Charisma, who's a Morgan and insulin resistant. Pie's good about using his shed, Drifter not so much, but I've dragged out my winter blankets which had already been cleaned and rewaterproofed and put away for the year.  Pie has no winter coat left and Drift almost none, so the blankets are needed.

No riding today - the wind is howling and it's spitting rain.  Vet visits tomorrow and we'll see how Pie is doing, but I think it unlikely that he'll be going to the Mark Rashid clinic since we don't know for sure yet what's going on with him.  He'll have blood drawn for insulin and thyroid tests and I'll be sending some of his hair off to the U. Minnesota for testing for the most common gene causing PSSM in QHs.  But Dawn's saying "send me in coach, I'm ready to play!", and she certainly is ready.

Got a call from Melissa at Paradigm - Maisie had a mild gassy colic-like episode, probably due to an abrupt weather change, so as a precaution they had the vet out to assess her and give her some oil as a precaution - considering her past history of impaction colics we err on the side of caution with her.  And Norman's going to ride along next week with another horse that has to go to the vet clinic for a test, and will have a small spot - possibly another cancer - frozen off his eyelid.

12 comments:

  1. Sending well wishes for Pie! (And Norman, too!) There is always something new to learn about horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That crazy weather is just wrong for May. Glad Pie is feeling better. We have a few who were tested for PSSM and most tests were inconclusive except for Donnie (QH/Percheron). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I do not envy your weather. Remind me that I said that when it's freakin' 106° this summer.

    I had an awesome ride today and caught a few rays as a side benefit.

    Maisie reminds me of how Jaz used to be prior to being treated for strongyles in 2009. I used to have to blanket him if it dropped below about 60° — no exaggeration. He did much better this year.

    Sorry Pie will be unable to do the clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wicked weather for so late in the year. Rain here, but it's warm. Hope the cold does not follow.

    Good luck with the Pie tests. Will they be making Pie charts of the results? (sorry....*G*)

    So, Norman get to babysit. Good for him. I think he will like the responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just been reading and catching up with everyone on your blog and am dismayed to hear that the blankets have had to come back out for one thing, but more that Pie isn't feeling well and had such a bad episode. I hope his feet are ok and that he is able to get back down to the good fun of being Pie. I always read entries about feet so carefully because of my experience with Lilly's feet. Good thing your vet was there to assess the situation! I've never heard of muscles being held tense because the feet are sore, but now that I hear it, it makes sense to me. I wish Pie could know how many faraway fans he has!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh! Is this "Winter" ever going to end. It's dreary and rainy here to, not even close to what you are experiencing, brrr, getting real tired of it. I'm keeping good thoughts for Pie and sending them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *And Norman and Maisie too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather has turned winter like again here today too. We've been blanketing horses again when I already had most of the cleaned. I sure hope weather like this isn't going to persist on into June. UGH!

    I hope your visit to the vet with Pie gives you the answers you need. So frustrating when our horse friends don't feel well and we have no answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cold, wet and crappy weather here too. I sure hope everything works out ok for all the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your weather pain - the boys are in heavy blankets here too. Best of luck with the vet(s).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone is getting pretty nasty weather. It's gotta stop sometime, right?
    Hope things go well with Pie's appt. Sorry to hear about Maisie. Hope she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had some crazy weather here too, and Panama has had his mid-weight blanket on several times this month already. Last week it poured rain for two days and nights straight, with temperatures in the 30s, and since Panama has hardly any winter coat left I just put his warmer blanket on him. I hope it warms up and stops this nonsense soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.