Monday, May 16, 2011

Two For the Road

Dawn and Drift got their traveling papers for the clinic this afternoon.  As I expected, Pie will be staying home.  His evaluation was good - he's walking much better and is sound at the trot, although still a little short-strided, and tentative on the gravel.  His digital pulses are all normal, and there is no heat in any of his feet except a slight amount in the right hind.  He has no sensitivity to hoof testers.  Almost all the muscle cramping is gone, although he's still got a bit of tightness in the deeper muscles of the shoulder and hip and just along his spine.  He had some blood drawn for insulin and thyroid tests.  We should have the thyroid results by the end of the week, and until then he'll stay on his schedule of in the stall during the day and out in the dry lot paddock at night, and we've deferred any chiro work until we have more information.  Drift is working on grazing down the other paddock, and it's not far from being usable by Pie - the grass that is left is pretty short, and we also trimmed the grass all around the edges.  Once he can go in there, he'll be in there during the day and in there with Drift at night for company.  He can't wait - he doesn't like being in during the day although he's good about it, and he really misses the company of the other horses.

I made an attempt to pull some Pie mane hairs for the U. Minnesota test for PSSM, but I was sorry to discover that my (aging) eyesight just isn't good enough to see if there are hair root bulbs on there with Pie's very fine hair - I'm hoping our p.m. barn lady has better eyes than I do and can help me this afternoon.  As long as I can see well enough to ride (and read) I don't know that I care too much.

The wind is still howling today - gusts to 30mph and temperatures in the mid 40sF, and we've got a freeze warning for tonight with continued wind.  Dawn and I managed a good ride despite the wind, the chilly temperatures and hordes of screaming, running children heading by - in the past she wouldn't have been able to cope with this level of distraction, but her concentration was basically uninterrupted.  My face and ears felt like they were frozen off by the end.

I elected to do some leading work with Drift in the parking lot - he was very worried by the wind and various other horses screaming and calling, and I wasn't enjoying the wind much myself.  It took some minutes, but by the end of our session his leading was very good. If the wind drops towards sunset for a bit, we might get in a ride, if not, there's always tomorrow.  Horses are a bit like the weather - there's little point in getting worried or upset by their various illnesses and moods - like the weather, it's better to just let it be what it is and work with it (or so I try to tell myself!).

14 comments:

  1. So glad to hear good news about Pie :)

    Ha - I had to put on reading glasses today to see what I pulled off of Val - tick or just a scab. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm, Forward, Straight - with or without my glasses (I wear graduated trifocals), it was a no go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about Pie's soreness, but glad that he is feeling better.

    Those little root bulbs are hard to see, even with glasses. When I've needed to pull hair with the root, I've had to put them on a piece of bright white paper to make sure I can see the root bulb. Tricky little things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Pie is doing better but sorry to hear he won't be going to the clinic. I'm sure you'll have a great time with Dawn and Drift though.

    I went for the cataract surgery in both eyes and only need glasses to read now. Still those roots are for my daughter's eyes not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on their moods, etc. It's either a good day to die, or it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have such good back up horses for a "just in case" scenario like this one. Sending healing vibes for Pie, and good behavior vibes for Dawn and Drift.

    And you are right about the weather...not sense in fighting it if you can just go along with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are aware of the Equine Herpes Virus that is spreading throughout the west- it may not have hit back east yet, but please check with the vets before your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! Sounds like Pie is going to be just fine.

    I know what you mean about the glasses. I got out thread and needle to repair a fly mask and had the devil of a time threading the needle! Couldn't see that little hole, and my stiff fingers could barely direct the thread! Yep, I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit I'm a bit excited that you're taking you most challenging horses. Still, I'm sorry Pie is not feeling 100%. It wold have been wonderful to take him to a clinic. Sending him low sugar thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a lot of trouble seeing the roots for Tonka's test too. I finally went out and pulled more and just sent in a bunch more than they require. But I could kind of see some of them, so I figured I was safe.

    I'm glad he's feeling better! I hope you get to the bottom of his troubles soon. Lucky you have other horses to take his place for the clinic, but I bet it's disappointing to not be able to take your special Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We use microscopes around here for seeing tiny things, if I'm not able to see them with my reading glasses. It stinks getting older. blah!

    What have you heard about the EHV in your area? Everyone's talking about and there are many horses affected already. Is it something you have any worries about when you're going to be traveling with horses to the upcoming clinic?

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. On EHV - we should be OK on this - the clinic has only a small number of horses coming and none are from areas with outbreaks/exposure, and the farm itself is small - not a show facility - with horses that don't travel to other locations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I "play trombone" when I'm out with the horses, too, without my reading glasses to see what I'm working with. Most distressing. As Bette Davis said, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

    Glad Pie is better, and I'm looking forward to reading about your clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope Pie is continuing to feel better. It's so distressing when our horses are sick and I'm sure that you'll feel better when you find out what is causing Pie's soreness. This weather is really crazy - so warm and then back to being cold - It's really hard on the horses and I'm always worried about colic when we get these extremes from one day to the next. Sending good healing thoughts to Pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.