Friday, May 20, 2011

Wild Horses

The ride up to the clinic went well.  Drift loaded (moderately) well and Dawn jumped right on, so off we went.  I wrapped Dawn's legs due to her propensity to injure herself. It was about an hour and 40 minutes drive mostly on crowded interstates, with some construction slow downs.  I'd forgotten but the last segment of interstate is very rough - almost like a washboard - and we'll be taking a different route home.  One amusing thing - I noticed in the rear view mirror that Dawn had poked her nose through the screen on her window (now why do I keep replacing these screens?) up to the cheekbones and the mouth was flapping - she was engaged in her favorite travel sport of eating bugs.

When we got there, they were very excited by all the other horses, who started calling to them as we drove in.  Dawn and Drift are bedded down in adjacent stalls - they're the only horses in their area of the barn, and they are now wedded at the hip.  Any time I take one out to graze or go in the round pen for a bit of turnout, they scream back and forth, and when Dawn is left by herself in the stall, she tries to kick the place down.  I expect Dawn to come into heat any moment.  Drift actually settled down a bit more than she did - she was pretty spooky and reactive.  I kept alternately hand grazing each of them and turning them out for a moment in the round pen - Drift did some trotting around and Dawn made her displeasure known by bucking and squealing.  I haven't (yet) been mowed down by crazed horses - Drift actually remembered his leading after a bit and Dawn, although crazed, was able to restrain herself from running into me.

We'll see how they are tomorrow - over the course of the three days they'll both settle down some, I expect, and it doesn't really matter how they are as we'll have good stuff to work on regardless.  I doubt that Drift has ever been much of anywhere, and Dawn hasn't been anywhere for at least 5 years - although she's made two trips to Colorado and is a seasoned traveler.

More tomorrow . . . (and here's a nice post by Jill, Scout's owner - she made it up to the first clinic - I'm riding in the second one - for part of yesterday - with some great photos - enjoy!).

11 comments:

  1. Best wishes for a good clinic. I'm looking forward to Mark coming to our area next October.

    Be safe.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if it's all going to be fun!! Just open up your brain and enjoy....oh, and tell Dawn and Drift the same thing. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in the clinic. Your trip sounds good and safe - and hysterical! That Dawn with her lip flapping and bug eating - very funny!!!

    Have a great time - I know you will and thank you so much for sharing all your adventures. You are so brave - I am too chicken to leave my barn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do sound very excited but I'm sure they'll calm down soon.
    Have fun with both horses at the clinic.

    I liked the image of Dawn catching bugs with her flapping lips, funny girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience for Drifter and Dawn. I'm sure they'll relax a lot more by tomorrow. I took our two to a show together for the first time last summer and they were the same as you describe, but got over it quickly.
    I'm really looking forward to reading your clinic posts. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, Dawn eats bugs?! How funny.

    Champ would eat horseflies if you caught them for him. He seemed very gleeful about it, like he clearly knew that they bit him and he was delighted to bite them back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it to the clinic safely. Funny vision in my head with Dawn eating the bugs going down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope all goes well, looking forward to your write up on the clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe thats funny about Dawn eating bugs!
    Good luck at the clinic, should be interesting to read about what you learn.
    My horses travel so much, they almost are more relaxed elsewhere, which is sure handy when I go somewhere new then I am nervous but they are relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bit about Dawn eating bugs!

    Hope all three of you have fun and can't wait for the reports!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.