Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Best Ride Ever on Dawn

May worked out OK, despite the weird weather - lots of cold, wind and rain.  I managed 45 rides on the three horses, which wasn't bad at all considering the weather, Pie being out of action for almost two weeks and days off for Dawn and Drift before and after the clinic.

Yesterday was a busy day, not just with the saddle fitter.  I had both a.m. and p.m. feeding and turnout/bring in duty, and I managed to ride all three horses.  Pie and I had a nice 40 minute trail ride, and he did fine despite the heat and humidity.  Drift and I also had an excellent work session with lots of trotting.

And I had my best ride ever on Dawn.  She was forward, but relaxed.  Her softening at the walk and trot was consistent.  Her transitions were flawless - walk/trot, trot/walk and trot/halt - all I had to do was think the new rhythm in my mind, exhale and she just flowed into the new gait, maintaining her softness.  She did some lovely stretching down work at both the walk and trot.  When she momentarily became distracted by something outside the arena, she came right back to me and continued working.  Her shortening and lengthening of stride at the walk and trot were effortless.  And the leg yields were amazing - all I had to do was think about walking forward with my own legs as we trotted in a straight line and then change the thought to stepping to the side with my own feet - no leg or rein aids needed - and she floated over "with" me without any change of rhythm or softness.  It was just glorious - I couldn't be happier with how well she's working.

And today's a beautiful day, sunny with a high of about 80F and low humidity.  I expect there'll be some riding . . .

12 comments:

  1. You made me smile thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! That is great about your ride with Dawn... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful report. Your work with Dawn is really paying off. It is so nice to hear of such rewarding success. Congratulations. I hope Dawn got a carrot.....
    (My Boys know I "owe" them one after every ride!)

    Wish we had the low humidity. Then the higher temperatures would be far more tolerable. *yuck*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jeni--your post made me smile. How great that your three horse projects are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. Congratulations on your best ever ride on Dawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done awesome getting all those rides in. You now have three wonderful horses to ride--pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great day! How nice it must feel to really work as one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of rides for one month especially with the less than perfect weather. Good for you.

    They all sound like they are coming along nicely and Dawn was a superstar. Nice work. I love it when it all starts coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear! Rides like these surpass science and art and I believe are best described as magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the clinic really opened things up for you and your horses. Rides like that one are the reason we keep riding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're riding more than most people these days...and on three horses no less. You should feel proud of your accomplishments. Good girl Dawn for giving you such a great ride, too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.