Thursday, June 16, 2011

Good Things Come

Sometimes things like my accident, and the discovery (and straightening out) of the underlying medical problem, present opportunities as well as challenges.  And sometimes they way they unfold is fortunate as well.

The accident itself was fortunate.  I was riding Pie, who is the calmest and least easily disturbed of my three horses.  I expect he'll have no problem picking up work again when I'm ready - he's not likely to have any residual fear/worry issues, I think, as he's a pretty confident horse.  That might not have been the case with either Dawn or Drift.  I fell very close to the barn, where people were around and help could easily get to me.  Apparently I also called my husband on my cell phone, although I have no memory of this - I always carry it when I ride and always will. I was wearing a helmet - I always wear a helmet and this certainly reinforces that practice.  My old helmet (a Troxel) has been saved - with gravel embedded in it - and I'll be exchanging it soon for a new one.  The trauma surgeon happened to be in my hospital room when my heart displayed its abnormality, and although my heart managed to straighten itself out on its own, there would have been help right there if needed.  I received excellent medical care at the hospital.  Although I've still got injuries to recover from and that'll take some time, as far as I'm concerned things worked out pretty well.  About 15 years ago a man I worked for who was the same age I am now, and quite athletic, went to his doctor complaining of some fatigue and just not feeling right.  His doctor sent him home wearing a heart recording monitor and told him to come back in 24 hours.  He died in his sleep that night of the same sort of arrhythmia that I have.  I feel very fortunate.

My accident has also proved what a wonderful community I live in - I've had numerous phone calls, e-mails and visits from friends and acquaintances.  We're getting a home-cooked meal delivered this evening and the offer of several more over the next several weeks, which will reduce the burden on my husband.  Every one at the barn has pitched in to help out.  And a large number of you out there in the blog community have been wonderful with your comments of support and caring - a big thanks to all of you.

I won't be able to ride for quite a while, which will challenge me to come up with some new and different things to do with my horses on the ground.  Once I'm sufficiently healed to be able to do some more physical activity, Dawn and I can continue some of the in-hand and obstacle/scary object work we've already worked on.  Pie and I can go on walks together - he seems to enjoy this.  Drift seems like the sort of horse that might enjoy learning some games, like rolling the ball, picking up and delivering objects like cones and anything else I can think of.  I have a book around here somewhere, or did, on teaching your horse tricks - any suggestions are also welcome.

And for quite a while, the two activities I'd been spending a large part of my days and weeks on - my horse work and playing my recorders - won't be possible (can't play a wind instrument without both arms and with broken ribs), I'll have the chance to look at some of my back burner projects and take up some of those again or for the first time.  Although I'll miss the riding, this period of time could be interesting and fun in a different way.

27 comments:

  1. Kate- I just caught up on what happened and I'm so relieved that you're set with the pacemaker and on the mend. My cousin got a pacemaker about forty-five years ago and she's still going strong at 96. Please take your time getting back in action. I'm sure it's going to be hard to not ride, but I think you're right that you'll come up with new ways to amuse yourself and connect with your horses. Sending you warm wishes and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I'm so glad you're going to be OK. And you're so right about being blessed with how things panned out during and in the aftermath of your fall. You're spirit seems untouched which I'm sure will help with your healing. I'll keep you in my prayers and eagerly await your recovery exploits with the gang. I'm sure you'll find many ways to combat boredom with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great attitude. I think many good things will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, so many things to be thankful for! The angels were surly looking out for you! Glad to hear that you are so upbeat about this, it will make the healing time go faster.
    Please keep us updated on how things are going and keep posting when you can. Your blog is the best!!!! I have learned so much from you, thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, good attitude. My faith tells me that God brings good things to those who believe in him. I wish you all the best for this time of discovery.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like even though you won't be able to ride you can still do lots of things with the horses. Clicker training comes to mind but I think nice easy walks with the horses sounds the best.

    This would be a good time to catch up on your reading and working on those projects on the back burner. Take it easy and heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you feeling? Are you getting around the house or stuck flat on your back? The pacemaker is a huge deal, to need it and to get it, but I bet the broken ribs are the worst right now. That part I have done. Take it easy and take your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a fantastic attitude! Life gave you some lemons, you're making lemonade! I think teaching Drift some nifty tricks will be great for you both! I'm sure it will be a bit before that, but it seems like you have plenty of other things to focus on other than the then things that could make you grouchy. Good for you! I miss your daily posts here, I am, however, catching up from your back blogs also (so I still get my fix). I enjoy reding your writings, always enlightening for me. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate - is it bad of me to be happy that it happend the way it did? Thank god you were not hurt permantly, no long term damage to you,or Pie, and a surgry that possibly saved your life!

    Im very glad that you are well on your way to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara - it's the collar bone that hurts the most at this point, although the ribs make their contribution too. I'm up and down during the day, and actually managed to sit up a bit and also had my husband drive me to the barn - it's only a couple of hundred yards from my house - so I could briefly visit my horses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are going to have an accident, you might as well have one in a good spot, with lots of help around. Is surely does seem fate was on your side so that everything worked out so well.

    So take it easy and don't push yourself until those bones are healed. IF you are like my friend, the pacemaker recovery should be the easiest part of the whole incident. But, if it gives you extra energy having your heart working correctly again, you'll need to be careful that you don't think you can do a lot more than you actually can.

    Meantime, I am sending healing thoughts and good wishes, as well as hugs for the horses. (Oh, and hubby too, who is probably taking up a lot of extra chores around the house.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, I wish you all the best with your recovery, great to hear you're doing so well.

    There is an excellent book on trick training for horses by Bea Borelle, worth getting if you don't already have it. I look forward to reading what tricks Drifter will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have to be the most positive person I know and it's an excellent trait to have.

    I'm sure you will come up some very interesting ground work/games for your three horses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such a wonderfully positive attitude. What a pleasure!
    I can't wait to read 'the book' on 1001 things to do with your horse when you can't ride!!

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're on the mend Kate, and (selfishly) that you're able to let us know what's going on. I know we all missed you and were worried sick those few days.

    I have broken the collarbone (twice) and ribs - neither from riding oddly enough. Ribs take an annoyingly long time to get all the way healed... as others have said - take your time even if you are otherwise feeling good.

    Looking forward to following along with your non-riding exploits too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the sayings I always remember is from the "Little House" series when the grasshoppers flew in and devoured their crop one year. The family's chickens were busy snapping up the hoppers, and Ma commented that they wouldn't have to buy feed for the birds. "In every great loss, there is some small gain."

    Some of the best moments I've had with my crew haven't had anything to do with training--sometimes just hanging out with them and watching their antics is incredibly fulfilling.

    I think making goals for ourselves is really important when we are in the middle of any lifelong endeavor (like learning how to partner with a horse), but one of the biggest gifts the horse has to offer a human being is awareness of present. After all, they aren't sitting around at the barn plotting about what to do the next time WE come to the barn.

    I have learned so much from your generous blog, Kate. I hope that your "other activities" while you're recovering include some new posts or re-posts of your favorite riding/training stories here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate
    What a great positive attitude..SURE to make the time go by fast. I'm sure you will make the very most of your time off of riding, and i know I'll continue to learn from it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your perspective and it makes sense. There was a problem and because of the way your accident occurred, you were able to get medical attention and will be in a better way then you were before the fall. Pie must be a very good horse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Kate! There are not too many people in this world that have your kind of attitude...and that is what is going to help you heal quickly. You made your lemons into lemonade. I have a strong feeling that the ponies are going to miss your attentiveness. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good attitude brings good karma. Glad you're healing and looking forward to hearing your ground work/play stories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you are on the mend and things went so well. You have a great attitude about the healing procces and I am sure you will keep yourself busy in the meantime. Stay well dear lady

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you recognizing the good in everything. Your positive attitude is what will bring you easily and quickly through your healing process.

    Take care,
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to see pictures of the damage to your helmet, and perhaps posting them on your blog will convince at least one person to wear a helmet from now on. I have a couple of pictures after my fall last autumn, when my helmet cracked all the way through. I was already wearing it every time I rode, but seeing the damage convinced me of WHY!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've got a great attitude Kate! I hope you have a speedy recovery. I bet Pie would like games and tricks too, but Drift would get the most benefit. It will be fun to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just read what happened this morning! Wow scary! Glad you are okay and hope you recover quickly. There are lots of people I know with pacemakers and it never slowed them down, so once you recover you should be good to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kate,

    I just recently stumbled upon your blog but predict being a regular follower of yours. Your posts are insightful, thoughtful and wise.

    Continued luck in your recovery. I'll be anxious to read more. We seemingly have so much in common, as I'm a horse trainer myself.

    You may be interested in touching base on Twitter (@authorshelley) or on my blog at: http://shelleyrosenberg.posterous.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.