Thursday, June 23, 2011

I Groomed a Horse!

It's 12 days since my injuries, and every day is a little bit better.  I haven't had to use any of the heavy-duty narcotics for pain for several days now - Advil is pretty much doing the trick.  I've started taking some short walks - it's amazing how much strength you lose after lying in bed for days.  Today I went to the orthopedic doctor, and he confirmed no surgery will be necessary on my collarbone - unlike the usual horse-related collarbone injury where the rider sticks an arm out to try to break a fall, breaking the collarbone in the middle, my injury is an impact fracture at the end of the collarbone where it joins the shoulder.  The x-rays show it's healing well, and it doesn't seem as though I have any serious soft tissue injuries, and at worst I'll have a little bump on the bone to remind me.  The doctor also said I no longer have to wear the sling 24/7 and I can start using my arm some now, being careful not to lift anything except light objects and not to raise it too far (can't do that anyway because of the pacemaker until the cardiac doctor sees me next week) nor to push if it hurts.  This should help with the muscle cramping I've started having in my neck and the back of my shoulder from having my arm fixed in one position.  I'll have to wait at least a couple more weeks before I can do real exercises, but this feels like progress.  The ribs don't hurt as badly any more either - except if I sneeze or cough which I'm trying to avoid.

So - big news - I did some grooming today!  Just one horse, and not my usual thorough job, and only using one hand, but still - it felt great!  Pie was my first victim - he was very dirty and I can't say he looks a lot better but it was a step in the right direction.  And Dawn and Drift got visited and I checked Dawn's tail for ticks and removed (yet another) one, for which she was grateful. I can't pick feet yet - that takes two hands and I'd have to be able to fully use my left hand to hold the foot - but our wonderful p.m. barn lady is taking care of that for the moment.  Next week I see the cardiac and trauma doctors, but so far so good!

28 comments:

  1. Kate...you are really progressing! Such good news. I'm sure the horses are missing your "usual" time spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps! You don't want any set backs! I bet having your arm out of a sling feels so much better. I think that grooming helped strengthen my muscles when I was recovering from surgery last year. Glad that your recovery is coming along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you're recovering so fast! Be careful of your heart, of course, but definitely keep moving as long as it doesn't hurt your arm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I am way behind. Just read about your accident. Glad you had your helmet on and that you got great care in the hospital and that they were able to identify and remedy your heart issue so quickly. I'm glad you were able to put your hands on your horses today. That is a good step in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news, but please, please don't push anything too fast. I have know so many people who had serious (or worse) relapses by trying to get back to normal before their body was ready.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! So, I guess the take-home-lesson for us is that if we're going to fall, don't try to catch ourselves. (Just kidding.) It shows you have amazing strength to be out of bed grooming at all. I don't know if I would be up and going that fast in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray!
    Thank goodness for help at the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news indeed. So glad no surgery is needed for the clavicle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news! Hope you keep making steady progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news about not needing surgery. And it sounds like you're making real progress with healing. Slow and steady and you'll be back before the horses can get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Progress is good. Was just reading and enjoying the post below too. I think I need to do some "allowing" of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh after what you've been through, twelve days seems very rapid! I know it never does to the person who went through the trauma, but wow, you are healing quick. So glad.
    Collar bone, heart, ribs, head? 12 days later you're grooming?

    Wonder woman!
    (I don't envy you any of it, but ribs, especially. OW.)

    sending speedy healing your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you are making progress. As far as I'm concerned, I'd consider grooming Pie to be some darn good physical therapy for you, as well as mental therapy.

    It's a pretty complicated situation having the pacemaker and the injuries to deal with, but I'm glad to hear you are figuring it all out. Just don't overdo! Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news! This is progress for you and your horses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great news! I bet that felt really good. I have been laid up for a couple of weeks before myself, and I can remember that first grooming job... did me a lot of good :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you are doing well, Kate. Its a lot to go through--I'm sure your positive attitude is helping you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's good progress in only 12 days. I'll bet it seems longer to you but really it's not even two weeks yet.

    I'm sure Pie liked having you groom him. And Dawn and Drift feel better just having you around I'm sure it does them and you good. Try not to overdue it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing like a little horse interaction to soothe the soul, and aid healing! Glad to hear things are moving in the right directions, take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty amazing progress for 12 days, you must be pretty happy with that. Glad you are getting some horse therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yaah! so nice to have preogress, and just a little more horse time helps too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure it felt just wonderful to do that, healing for you. I can imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh crap! I didn't know you'd gotten hurt. I've been so busy and behind on reading blogs that I must have missed it. I'm going back now to see what happened, but I'm glad you're making progress and I hope you heal quickly and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is all good news! I'm sure that just being with the horses is nourishing for you and for them. Since my tendency is to always be doing something, doing nothing usually has unexpected benefits for me. I have a feeling this will open new doors for you and the horses. I'm glad you have good help with the feet picking. It's more taxing than it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats! You are making lots of progress... even though it may seem slow to you. Before you know it, you'll be back on top, enjoying the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Horse therapy is the best therapy, just being with them, talking, petting, grooming has to make you feel better, since they are such a big part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy for you hanging out with the horses! I'm guessing the restrictions you're under are equally as challenging as the physical issues.
    Every day brings you closer to recovery - echoing most everyone else here - beware of overdoing it!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you are healing well and taking it easy. I am sure the time with the horses felt great

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such positive news...and in such a very short time, too. Most people would be laid up for weeks from injuries such as yours.
    Take care,
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.