Monday, June 27, 2011

A Tail and a (Short) Walk

Tonight it was Pie's turn for a grooming.  Today I got out the ShowSheen and did a proper job on his mane and tail, which hadn't been done for over two weeks.  It's easy to forget how nice it is to have two properly working arms until you don't.  I held his tail in my left hand, using my sling as a brace to take the weight of  the pulling, and combed with my right hand (very lucky I didn't break my right collarbone as I'm right handed).  Pie has a very thick, beautiful tail with many lovely shades of chestnut, and it was fun to get it all smooth and silky, although it took a while.  Then I put on his halter (one-handed) and took him for a very short walk around one part of the community garden - about 100 yards or so.  He seemed to enjoy it - he hasn't been anywhere but the barn and his paddock since I was injured - and we stopped to look at things from time to time.  After saying hi to Dawn and Drift, I made my way home, somewhat tired but happy.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I'm sure he liked the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel good to just be out there with the horses? I know it made me happy when I was finally able to visit them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!
    Isn't it funny how a well groomed tail makes the whole horse look well groomed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it we never fully appreciate what we have until it's gone? Hopefully you will make a full recovery in short order. In the meantime, enjoy the deepening bond with your horses while you are "grounded" (and welcome to life on the medical merry-go-round ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are making it out to the barn a bit. I'm sure that being with your horses will help your recovery - especially mentally! :-) So happy to hear that you are up and about as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ponies, they are so theraputic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love thinking of your horses as your helpers and friends through this healing process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to learn this one handed halter technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job. You put me to shame in the grooming department and I have two hands that work. *S*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting a tail in order can actually be quite hard work! I like to use Neem Hair Oil on Lilly's mane and tail. So silky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.