Thursday, July 21, 2011

And So On . . .

Yesterday the heat index made it up to 115F.  The horses did fine in the barn under their fans, although it was certainly hot in there.  I gave them another hose off at around 5 p.m. At around 9 p.m. when they went out, the heat index was still in the 90s but the sun was down and there was a breeze, so even Pie was OK - I checked on him later before I went to bed.

The humidity is already oppressive this morning, and I expect I'll bring them in before 8 a.m. for another day under fans.  Pie is out grazing with the gelding herd again for a couple of hours, and when I turned him out Fritz and Scout went over to him and grazed with him.  Fritz did one little squeal but that was all.  When I put Drift in after he ate his breakfast in the barn, he went right up to Pie and sniffed noses.  There was no squealing, and Pie just took a step away from Drift and then they were grazing right next to each other.

Today the heat index is supposed to get to 105, but then we're supposed to get some relief this evening.  Here's hoping . . .

13 comments:

  1. 115? That's crazy. Hope it breaks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having the same thing. I feel sorry for the horses but they do have fans and shade from the sun. The humidity is what gets you though. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say we may have a heat index of 107 today. I've had it with this weather. Glad the ponies are getting along so well. Who wants to do anything when the temperatures are like this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have your heat and ours. I had to wear a jacket yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hearing our weather may be warming up (to normal) next week...perhaps that means the folks on your side of the country will finally get a break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heat here too. The worst of it is supposed to hit tomorrow, I think, but already, by 10 AM, it was pretty bad out there. My Boys are in with their fans. Not much else to do for them, except hosing. Plenty of fresh water in the trough and free choice of inside out out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got your heat here in Ohio as well. I work in a greenhouse!!! Didn't even bother to check the temps there, would've scared me.
    Left at noon however, not so much due to the heat there, as I wanted to get home and hose Camryn down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pie and Drift know it's too hot to waste energy with squealing and other nonsense. Heat index of 110 here as well - we're in the same boat :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heat index of 103 here today. Nothing like working in an easybake oven. The good news is there is a nice breeze. The horses are drinking lots of water and grazing in the shade or hanging out in the woods. At least they are being smart about it. Today was supposed to be our hottest day of the week and then start getting a little bit cooler. Wouldn't mind some rain either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our horses have been drinking tons of water - I filled troughs at the barn last night and in each paddock the horses came over to get some nice cool water... Lots of action at the salt licks too.

    Hopefully you get a break from the heat soon! We are supposed to be hot right through the weekened!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This too shall pass - soon, I hope.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the temps are so high it's hard to remember how cold we were just 6 months ago!
    Wish we could mix the temps together to get some moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate ....how is the body feeling. I hope the healing is all going to plan. While you are trying to escape the heat I'm sitting by the fire looking out at a very windy cold grey day ....fresh snow on the mountain and no desire to venture far from the house. My horses were brought in last night to get out of the icy rain that was coming in sideways with force. Wouldn't it be nice to have a middle temp

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.