Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 34 - I Rode!

I've been waiting for this day - I've been anxious to get here but apprehensive as well.  I walked about 3 miles this morning, at a better pace than before and with fewer rest breaks - I'm still slow but improving.  Then this afternoon, I groomed (including picking feet) and saddled Pie and took him to the arena.  The footing in the arena is pretty bad - hard and packed - but we made do.  I led Pie around for a few minutes, and then got on.  Pie stood like a statue for me to mount - my leg strength isn't up to par but was enough for me to get on.  Then we did a bit of work at the walk, for about 10 minutes or so.  Good Pie!  We'll keep working at the walk until I feel up to trotting, and I'll start riding Drift and Dawn once I'm feeling stronger riding Pie.  In the meantime, Dawn can lunge and Drift and I can do some leading and possibly some clicker work.

Here are a few pictures my husband took.  Pie is ready to go - am I?


Some walk work - I didn't ask very much of either one of us:



Pie gives us the Pie face to let us know he isn't impressed:


I'm very grateful to have made it to this point and to have this milestone behind me.

31 comments:

  1. Great news! Congratulations on this milestone. Love the Pie face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to Kate and Pie. I am impressed with both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip hip hooray, quite a milestone for you. So glad you're healing up and beginning to feel like you again. Looks like Pie is a bit bummed about his vacation being canceled LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. High five! Glad you are back in the saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! Gotta love Pie - what an awesome boy he is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of mine makes faces too...it's a little annoying at times, but at least I know how she feels! Fantastic progress and you look great. That front-on picture of you both looks really nice--he's such nicely-made fellow, and he looks like he enjoys being a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to see you back in the saddle! Great news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! That's great news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff. Take it at a healing pace.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such good news!! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Congratulations, I'll bet that felt great to ride, even just a light ride. :o) I love the Pie face -- what was he unimpressed about?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice--this is exactly the time when a horse like Pie is such an asset to have. The perfect horse at the perfect time. It made me very happy to read this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good going! And how nice to have a reliable, safe horse like Pie to ride for your first time out. He was a "steady Eddy" when you fell, and is your angel now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah!! So happy for you!! Pie is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray! You looked great! Good for you!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kate - that is wonderful news!!! Congratulations. You are inspiring! Happy rides are your sweet Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah!!! What a great milestone to have hit. I'm glad you were able to get on Pie for a short walk.

    Your recovery and your positive attitude are very inspiring...thanks for sharing that with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Kate! I'm so happy for you! You look great up there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job Kate! Happy for you and your horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! It's great to see you back in the saddle and I'm sure it was great being back there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Well done to Pie for looking after his mum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy for you, Kate! But you haven't posted since - I hope you didn't have a setback after your day in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.