Saturday, July 9, 2011

Four Weeks and Good Progress

Today is four weeks since my accident and I made a bit more progress today.  Early in the morning, I walked about one and one-half miles at a normal walking pace without too many stops, including walking up some small inclines.  I love being out in nature again - at one point on my walk near the small lake there was a bush that was just full of bluets - a type of damselfly - I didn't get close enough to identify any of the them as they are very small - mostly about one inch long - but it was delightful to see them. Then a bit later I groomed Pie and took him for a walk on the trail.  He was a bit alarmed by someone using a chain saw to cut up some tree branches, but settled down once he could spend some time watching.  We walked about one-half mile total I would guess.

Another first, although it wasn't one of my horse-related goals.  I had the energy and stamina to make lunch - just a stir-fry with brown rice, kohlrabi, broccoli, snap peas and some garlic and onions.  It's the first time I've cooked a real meal since the accident, and I was able to do the chopping and prep work as well as the cooking.  I really enjoy cooking and it's nice to be able to do that again.

In the afternoon I groomed Dawn and Drift and picked all three horses' hooves (!).  My shoulder did fine, although my neck and head weren't fond of the bent-over position required to pick feet.

So some progress towards my goals!  The long-suffering husband is planning to drag the arena either Sunday or Monday, and once it's dragged I plan to do a little lungeing with Dawn - another goal - and some leading and in-hand work with Drift.  And I'm going to continue to gradually increase my walking distance until I make it to my 2.5 mile goal - I think pretty soon I'm going to be back on a horse again!

15 comments:

  1. Good stuff. Keep up the good work. You know your body better than anyone else.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that sounds like great progress!Just don't push it too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Bet that food tasted good.

    You've managed to accomplish a lot on the horse front even since your earlier post this week. Pretty super progress, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you are making such great progress! That lunch sounds quite tasty too. I also love to putz around the kitchen, it would be hard on me if I was unable to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress. Sounds like you will sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Kate! You are such an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the link to the Bluet. I've never seen one before. What a treat. Keep up the good work toward your full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had breakfast yet, so the description of your lunch is making my mouth water!

    I know your husband probably prefers to stay in the "blog background" most of the time, but I wondered if he's been worried about the prospect of you riding so soon after your accident. Sounds like he's fine with it, but I was just curious. Inquiring (nosy) minds want to know! -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definite progress! You'll be back in the saddle before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is exciting news! So much progress, won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are well on the mend. Sometimes that road to recovery seems more like a never ending detour. Here's hoping you're back in the saddle soon (but not too soon, okay? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. With the sort of injuries you described,it sounds like you are doing fantastic!
    I've been thinking about starting to walk with Griffin again. We were doing so well there for awhile and then the nerve in my leg started bothering me and so I stopped. I've been feeling better for some time now and I really need to get going with that again. Grif enjoys it and it's great exercise for us both!
    Reading your post has given me the inspiration to get on it again! Thank You :)
    Don't worry - in no time you will be riding again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your lunch sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.