Sunday, July 31, 2011

July Summary - Getting Back in Action

After slowly starting to get back into action after mid-month, I managed 13 rides in July - 5 each on Pie and Drift and 3 on Dawn, bringing my total rides in 2011 to 138.  June was about the same - I rode 14 times,  including the trail ride where I was injured coming off Pie on the 11th, bringing my riding to a halt - 5 rides on Pie, 6 on Drift and 3 on Dawn.

I think we're all close to being back where we were at the beginning of June, training-wise.  Pie's Pie, although he does need to do more arena work to develop his softness and way of carrying himself, and I need to work on regaining my confidence on the trail.  Drift is back where he needs to be - we're back in our program of just moving at the trot and canter for him to develop his balance and way of going.  Dawn and I are working on trotting and trotting some more, to develop our mutual confidence and "allowing".

Not too bad, considering.

9 comments:

  1. I tend to forget how valuable time in the ring is, even when it is fine weather for trail riding. So much work can get done in the ring, and I find I needn't commit to some marathon training session to make it worthwhile either. Sometimes 15 or 20 minutes will get so much done! The trail is still my fave and I'd always rather head that way but there are times ringwork is just what Lilly needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you can ride so much. I only get to ride normally once a week, unless I'm off work and can get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty amazing considering what you've been through, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, that just made me realise I ride LOADS of times in a year!! I ride just about every day so in a full year at that rate thats a lot of rides!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. All in all I think you've done pretty well with your riding. Glad to hear everyone is back to their normal routines and you're feeling well enough to work with them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how alluring the trail can be. Chance always wants to go out of the arena, and I often indulge him--when I'm riding, that is.

    But you can school out there. Leg yields, shoulder in, circles, all kinds of exercises. It doesn't have to all be done in the arena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you and those ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent careful work rehabbing yourself. It has been so hot, that you probably did not miss out on much riding this July. In fact, I think that you rode more times that I did, although I only have one horse. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.