Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pie Wants In

The past couple of mornings, Pie's done something a bit odd.  He's been going out to graze with the gelding herd before 6 a.m., after eating his breakfast.  He's up to 3 1/2 hours of grazing, and the other geldings are out all night, so you'd think he'd be more interested in grazing than they are.  But no - when I come to get him in when his time's up, he's at the fence, pacing up and down, and this morning he was sweaty and breathing hard - it seemed that he'd been running.  No one seems to be harassing him - Drifter was a ways off, dozing with a leg cocked.  I'm not sure what's up with him - he seems to really want to come in - and he doesn't want to go to his paddock, either - he wants to go into the barn and into his stall, although he's the only horse in at that point.  We're on what I hope is the last day of our monster heat/humidity wave, and perhaps he's anxious to get under his fan, being wise enough to know that he'll overheat as the temperature rises with our shadeless pastures (he seems to overheat much more easily than the other horses when it's sunny with high humidity).  I just don't know - he otherwise seems fine and was happy when I hosed him off and put him under the fan.  We'll see what he does when the temperatures and humidity fall . . .

15 comments:

  1. That is interesting. Horses seem to know where the coolest spots are in the summer and the warmest spots in the winter. I bet he likes his fan. When Misty was at the vet for her tooth repulsion, it was a hot day, her recovery stall had a fan and she stood with her face right in front of that fan. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think it sounds like he dislikes the heat, and wants to come in out of it. It sounds like how Panama is with the cold and snow in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my horses sweats more in the heat, just grazing in the pasture, than the other mares. They come to the gate when they want in, like when the face flies are bad, even if it isn't their routine time to come in. They sure do know what they want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like he's smart enough to know there's a cooling fan in the barn for him. Some horses just can't take the heat.

    Blue my QH paint hates it and sweats more than the other horses. He doesn't run or do much more than stand around and graze. When I brought him in yesterday he soaked my arm when he brushed up against me. He seems to be the one the bugs attack more too. He'd rather be inside eating or napping on hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how he's gone from Mr. Outdoors to Mr. Indoors.

    Pretty soon he'll be requesting a nightly turn down with mints on the pillow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd agree with the above comments, It sounds like he is just feeling the heat more than others. Hopefully it will cool down soon.

    Also, did you get my interview questions? I never heard back so I'm not sure if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's no dummy. Sounds like a smart horse to me.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet he wants into the cool of the barn. Hot, muggy and buggy v. cool and breezy ... he's a smart horse and this is just another example of that. Although the pacing and sweaty part is a bit odd. Isn't he the one who was so difficult to cool off the other day? Maybe he just doesn't deal with heat well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pie's a smart boy! He knows where that cool fan is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pie's proved over and over again what a smart horse he is. I think he's proving it once again. Smart Pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many times...don't you wish animals could talk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww poor Pie. The shrinking violet. Sounds like he knows a good thing when he's got it. Good thing you listen to him and give him a comfortable life. :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie - yes, I did get the questions - sorry I've been so slow to respond - I'll get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem! I have other interviews I can use but def would love to hear from you!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a horse that sweats a lot more than the others do during hot spells, and she is more resistant to work in the heat. I think Pie is smart enough to get anxious and worried about the heat--maybe anxious enough to pace and/or run the fenceline trying to get someone's attention if he's worried he won't be let in.

    They've proven that humans who are raised in hot climes actually do better in the heat than people who weren't. Maybe Pie will eventually develop better tolerance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.