Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Posts Coming Up . . .

I think there are a series of posts on the way - not sure yet how many - on a number of topics I've been mulling over.  Some of these have been prompted by my recent horse experiences: my fall off Pie and his reactions to that, Dawn's bolt-and-buck and Drift's bolt, and some have been prompted by my reading Tom Moates's new book Between the Reins: A Continuing Journey Into Honest Horsemanship - I strongly recommend this book and Tom's earlier book A Horse's Thought (both I believe available from Amazon).  As is often the case, the book arrived right when my circumstances with my horses made it important for me to hear what the book had to say.

What does it mean to the horse, particularly a young horse, when the rider falls off?

What is straightness in the horse - physical and mental straightness together?

What does it mean for the horse to be truly with you (this is the same, I think, as Mark Rashid's thoughts about a horse being soft on the inside)?

More coming once I get my thoughts and writing organized . . .

6 comments:

  1. Looks like they will be interesting and informative posts. It's hard sometimes to organize thoughts into posts but I'm sure you're up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested in reading these posts. After Gwen bucked me off I got the distinct impression that the experience was much more distressing for her than it was for me. I've been slowly working on getting back on her but it's obvious her confidence took a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What does it mean to the horse, particularly a young horse, when the rider falls off?"

    Clearly - I NEED to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to read those topics. I have my own thoughts about what it means to horses (young and old) when a rider falls off. There was a book I read once that suggested to practice falling off a horse. It was geared for the rider and not the horse--just a way of learning how to fall properly. I didn't think of the implications for "training" there, too. I need to look for that book...I can't remember which it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information on the books. I'll check them out as I'm looking for a new horse read.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping you were brewing up some good material and that nothing was wrong. You hadn't posted for a few days. Your posts are missed by me. Keep up the good work. I look forward to your upcoming writings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.