Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dawn Improves

The vet was out this morning to give Dawn her second set of antibiotic shots.  She said that, since there's no more swelling, I could stop using the DMSO/furacin (thank goodness, that stuff is nasty), and can stop the bute as well - Dawn'll get one more gram tomorrow a.m. to help her with any soreness from the shots. I'll keep her on probiotics for about the next week to make sure her insides keep functioning normally.  The neck is looking better every day - there are still some pretty nasty, crusty areas, and I'm to continue washing those with baby shampoo every day and gently scrubbing with my gloved fingers to remove crusties and then continue applying the Thermazene antibiotic creme.

And, since the swelling's gone and Dawn's feeling good, I can go back to riding her again, keeping the work light to start with.  So back into the rotation she goes.

The vet said we'll never be sure what prompted the swelling - it could have been a bacterial infection or a delayed immune system overreaction to the toxins in the stings.  As a result, we may need to be careful if Dawn's stung again, as she may now be more sensitive to stings.  Just another thing to add to the list of Dawn's medical oddities and list of accidents . . .

10 comments:

  1. Now that she seems on mend I feel comfortable saying "It's always something with horses isn't it?" We do our best to provide the safest place for them and they still manage to find some way to hurt themselves.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Dawn! But at least she is feeling better! I can't stand it when animals are sick because they cannot tell you what is really wrong, we just have to guess to the best of our ability with the clues that they give us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that Dawn is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn's healing is starting to sound better each day. I'm so happy for her and you too. Glad you don't have to use that DMSO anymore, I really don't like that stuff much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear how much Dawn is improving. I follow a very enjoyable blog that recently had a post about her encounter with bees while on horseback.
    (http://allhorsestuff.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-have-heard-stories.html) She's inspired me to get some Sting-Kill-Wipe for my kit. Who knows if it would help, but I think I'll keep it on hand - can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. weird, but glad she is on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news Kate. You are an outstanding caretaker! Sweet Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really GREAT news about Dawn!

    I have always had good results using Thermazene.

    Dawn sounds like our dog Bear. He had a long list of medical oddities and accidents. Good thing we really love the expensive little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had my horse for a two weeks now... and I daily go over his body... and always find something, it seems. So far, just scrapes and bug bites. But, wow, yes, it's always something! So glad she is almost all better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your girl is feeling so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.