Monday, September 26, 2011

Not Out of the Woods Yet

I would have said that Pie was a lot better - we'd had a couple of days with no symptoms, and this afternoon and early evening he looked great - bright, alert, friendly and pretty much back to normal.  He'd been passing a lot of manure and everything seems fine. But then about an hour after feeding time this evening, he went down in his stall again, switching from sternal to flat and back and forth, and groaning, and passing large amounts of gas.  I went in his stall and held his head for a bit, then he got up and was pretty much back to normal - alert and interactive - although a bit touchy about his left side.  This wasn't as bad as his attack last Wednesday, but was as bad as how he was feeling a day or two after that.

This is the pattern - brief episodes of sharp abdominal pain, about 45 minutes to an hour after p.m. feeding, accompanied by lots of gas.  The elevated liver enzymes, particularly GGT, suggest bile duct involvement - either inflammation or a partial obstruction by a bile duct stone, and this would fit with the timing after feeding time.  But it's really hard to tell what's going on.  He has days where he feels better and days where he doesn't, despite having been on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for a week.  He doesn't seem to have symptoms any other time of day.

The vet is coming Wednesday to do another blood draw to see if anything's changed.  If things aren't moving in the right direction, I may trailer him to a vet clinic - we have a couple of good ones to choose from - to have a liver ultrasound and any other tests they may recommend.

I keep thinking that things are getting better and then they aren't - it's frustrating to see my horse in pain and not be able to fix it.

17 comments:

  1. I sure hope this clears up soon, for both of your sake. Poor Pie, feeling this way, and poor you worrying and not being able to help him. He's young and strong though, and you're a dedicated and knowledgable horse woman, so I'm betting on a recovery soon. At least he's feeling good most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Pie. It's so frustrating for you too not knowing what's going on and being able to help him. I hope this clears up soon, if not, the vet clinic sounds like a good idea. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling helpless is the worst... if it is a bile duct stone, is that something they can go in and remove, or use some other procedure to break it up? Tell Pie we're thinking about him and hope he's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Pie feels better. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree about how difficult it is to see our cherished animals in pain. I'm sending all of my good wishes to Pie and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry Kate-stuff like this where we don't know what's going on is scary. I'll be jingling for sweet Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kate! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing quite so excruciating, I think, as watching your horse suffering despite your best efforts to help. But you're dogge, so I know you'll get to the bottom of it soon and help bring Pie back to his usual Pie self. Best of wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get to the bottom of this. I'm worried about poor Pie! I was thinking about a vet clinic and wondering if you had access to one close by. I'm glad you do. We've resorted to using it a few times when we just couldn't figure things out. It's a nice resource to have close by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ruled out sand colic on top of the liver problem?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Pie. I hope you get answers soon. Very frustrating. Thinking good thoughts. Sorry if this is a repeat comment, but Blogger took the first one. Just think of it as double good thoughts for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking about Pie and I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear Pie is still struggling. I hope you get good results soon. I was/am so thankful I had a good clinic an hour away to haul Henry to when he had his "stones" colic. It certainly saved his life. I will hold good thoughts for you and Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been able to follow this thread, but is there any evidence of a food allergy or intolerance? I know it's the "in" thing now for people--celiac sprue, nut allergies, sensitivities of ALL kinds--but it couldn't hurt. My chestnut OTTB gets hives from time to time--no rhyme or reason, just itchy swellings on his shoulders or neck. Nothing to worry about or head to the vet for advice--he just Rx's Azium powder and that takes care of things.

    This sounds more complicated, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Pie... very sorry he's still feeling poorly.

    It's so frustrating to have issues with our companions and not be able to pinpoint and solve the problem immediately.

    He's lucky to have you Kate - we know he'll get the best treatment possible.
    Hoping the issue is resolved asap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is nothing worse than watching a beloved horse in pain and not being able to do anything. Poor Pie, I hope you find out what's causing this soon. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shoot...I really hope they find what is bothering poor Pie and it turns to be a simple fix. GOOD LUCK and we are sending good thoughts your way!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.