Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pie Shows His Personality

Pie has really been showing his personality lately - he's a very curious, smart horse and it's fun to watch him now that he's feeling so much better.

He's been very interested in the goat lately - the goat lives in a pen near the stable.  Every time we go near the goat pen, he wants to stop and watch the goat. We were out on a hand walk, so I took Pie up to investigate further.  I wish I'd had my camera - Pie went right up to the goat, stuck his head over the fence (the goat had put his front feet up on the inside of the fence) and proceeded to thoroughly sniff and investigate the goat in a friendly way.  Then Pie actually wanted to groom with the goat - he was nibbling gently on the goat's shoulders - at this point the goat decided maybe Pie was a little bit big and walked away.

Yesterday and today, Pie and Drifter have been stuck in paddocks for the day - the paddocks are pretty big - about 100' by 50' - because the footing in the larger dry lot they takes turns in is too bad - it had gotten extremely muddy and then the mud froze solid with huge lumps and deep holes, making it almost impossible for them to walk.  Today, when I was visiting in his paddock, Pie made his desires know.  He's rarely a mouthy horse (unlike someone we could mention - Drifter, I'm thinking of you), but he reached over the gate and grabbed the lead rope of his halter which was hanging on the fence.  He shook the lead rope and dropped it, and then grabbed the halter and did the same with it.  The whole time he was doing this he was looking at me as if to say, "put this thing on my face and let's get out of here!"  It's supposed to be above freezing over the next several days, so we're all hoping to use the big dry lot again . . .

15 comments:

  1. I think Pie and Jackson have the same great personality. I'm familiar with the halter hint/demand. And, one day our goat followed Jackson and I into the arena. Jackson investigated then started grooming her back. The goat was loving it until she looked up and realized it was a horse and not me doing the grooming. The she was outta there fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate--I am so happy Pie is himself again. What a journey you two have had. And such credit to you for figuring out what was bothering him. I hope you get some good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have Angora goats next to us. Our horses are interested, but I don't think they would go so far as to want to groom them.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just too darn cute! I can just picture him doing that. He must be feeling pretty good these day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love Pie and his silly ways. Both tales are so cute - the goat and the trick with the halter and lead. Boy, he really is smart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to blogging Kate. I hope you enjoyed your blog-cation!

    I've missed reading your posts and am looking forward to what the new year brings for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! What a smart boy. Mine seem happier to see me as well. But I think it is because the last few visits I have made have been short and work free... a quick brushing/clean feet and I take them to find some green grass as most of it is dormant... I have a few secret places under a couple of trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pie is adorable. I love a curious friendly horse. It's too bad you didn't have a camera for the goat experience. We're frozen into moon craters here too, it does make it hard to walk gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see Pie investigating the goat AND flinging the lead rope and halter. You do such a great job of 'writing pictures'! How funny of him!
    Our paddock is frozen lumps too. The horses tilp-toe through the lumpy areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is adorable my Gelding does little things like that too. If i am standing around and he feels that i am NOT paying enough attention to him i get a nice little headbutt (not a violent one but he hits my arm or shoulder with enough force to knock me over). After he does it he looks around and tries to seem like he was not involved in anyway adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had tons of snow followed by a big warm-up, so now the pastures are standing water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have a goat or two to keep the weeds down in the back yard (I live on an acre) but my OTTB is terrified of goats. Since they are a common companion animal on race tracks and his experience on the track was not a very good one, from what I've been able to learn from people who knew him when he raced and from his overall personality--he's a worrier, I'm thinking HE thinks there is the chance he may have to race again. He will investigate other animals, though, and has no trouble with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost without exception every retiree that has come to our farm falls IN LOVE with our goats. Wish I could have seen Pie trying to groom the goat, that would have been cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pie must be feeling good to show such interest in the world around him--and to be clever enough to make his demands about the halter and lead known.

    I am really happy for the both of you. It's been a long haul to health.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.