Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Getting Rid of New Word Verification Nonsense

Funder just did a post with links to simple descriptions of how to get rid of the new double, distorted word verification that may be plaguing people who are trying to leave comments on your blog - you may not even know this is happening since it won't affect you when you comment on your own blog.

If you're using the new Blogger interface, it doesn't allow you to change this - but follow the directions in the posts to go back to the old interface, which will allow you to check whether or not you have word verification turned on and then turn it off if you so wish.  Then back to the new interface, and you're done - it took me only a few seconds.

Once you don't have word verification anymore, you may wish to enable comment moderation - this can be done with the new interface - to prevent various types of spam.  Thanks, Funder!


10 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! That two word verification is horrible. I feel dyslexic because it takes me multiple times to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this, I wasn't commenting on your blog (or any blogs that use WV) because it is sooooo annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, too. Never sure if I need to clean my glasses, tilt my head, take OFF my glasses or use capital letters because that DOES look like a capital "P."

    That said, however, SOME form of
    verification should be "on," because I read other blogs that have spam messages, and they are a bug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does need to go. I rarely get one right the first time, usually it is a muddy mess and I am just guessing. Google does a fairly good job with spam, especially if you report it as spam. I have my blogs set for moderation for any comment on a post more than a few days old. That is where the spam pops up on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I removed it too. It's such an easy process, I hope everyone will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. The old "words" that weren't really words were bad enough, but the squiggly mess with the black background was nearly unreadable.

    I didn't realize the new Blogger interface made it harder to turn off the verification, but I'm glad there is a simple way to do it.

    I am smiling now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this. The new WV is obnoxious and it has stopped me from commenting on some of my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate them! If you are not a registered user, please feel free to leave an anonymous comment - a first name or screen name is appreciated. The only exception to anonymous comments is if you wish to endorse a book or product - then I'd like to know who you are, and I may delete comments that are put up for marketing purposes and will delete spam.