Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lessons Cancelled :(

My trainer texted to say that we should cancel our lessons for tomorrow - the unprecedented hot weather (80sF today) continues, and the boys aren't acclimated or shed out enough for those sorts of temperatures.  She did work with both of them a bit today, but they were sluggish and got sweaty very quickly.  Although I'm disappointed, I like it very much that she puts the interests of the horses first.  It's finally supposed to cool down by Friday (60s) to something more in range of normal temperatures for this time of year.  But there was some good news, too - Pie has done a little cantering under saddle with her and even offered up some softness, and both Drifter and Pie went on short solo trail rides yesterday and did very well - a few small spooks but nothing more than that and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

Hmm, perhaps Dawn has shed out enough for a bath . . .

8 comments:

  1. Better to work in cooler temperatures.
    Your heat is moving our way tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having another cold spring here in the NW...your temps sure sound good, but then I think about what warm weather *really* means (mosquitoes, gnats, etc.) and then I'm not so anxious!

    If you have a limited amount of time with your "boys" you might try grooming them with a "furminator" blade...I know they make them for horses, but they aren't sold here locally (I just use one that's marketed for large dogs). My younger two horses don't really need it, but my old black mare really suffers if she's got a lot of her winter "wool" still on when it gets warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too hot for this time of year, that's for sure. My Boys still have winter coats too. Your trainer is very wise and kind to your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe we broke a temperature record today. It's nice your trainer is thinking of the boys comfort. Our herd is still mostly hairy too,so we haven't been doing too much with them either. I'm sure Dawn would love a bath and spa day. What girl wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have that problem. Please send some our way!! Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This weather is absolutely freakish that's for sure. Mid 80's here in Cincinnati - horses that were clipped are fine. Hairy yak horses like Rosie - not so much. I've been riding but in the evenings when it's high 70's and mainly walking with just a few trots in there.

    I'm afraid of what July and August temps will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your weather cools off soon! It was in the 80's here over the weekend, and super windy. Bleh! It's too early for this kind of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trainer sounds phenomenal! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.