Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pictures of the (Equine) Crew

Today's post is mostly pictures - of two special horses who are now gone, my three retirees and the three who are my current riding horses.  I thought it would fun to put up my favorite pictures of them.

Here's Promise - a very special mare who was with me for only a little more than a year and who we lost at the age of 10 a number of years ago - here's a link to her story:


And here's Noble - a good friend for many years who we lost a few years ago at the age of 30 - here's a link to a post I did which has other treasured photos of him:


The three retirees are living the live of happy, well-cared for horses down at Paradigm Farms in Tennessee.  First, here's a few favorites of Lily - we call her The Lil - photos (that's my older daughter riding her in the first two, and my hat getting knocked off in the third):




And now for Norman-the-pony (that's my younger daughter riding):



And Maisie (or the Maise):



And now, my three current riding horses.  First up is Dawn - she's a 14 year old OTTB and we've had her for over 10 years:





Now Pie - he's a 5 year old QH and he's been with me for a little more than a year:





And finally, Drifter, a 10 year old QH who's been with me for just a year:




Hope you've enjoyed your virtual visit with my horses as much as I enjoyed putting it together!

18 comments:

  1. Tho they're all grand horses, I still think Maisie is SOOO lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there a reason why you don't use nosebands? just curious

    ReplyDelete
  3. East Bound - I'm surprised no one's asked that question before - thanks for asking! I don't show, so there are no expected pieces of equipment, including nosebands (Lily's jumping pictures are in jumper classes, so the same applies). If there were a noseband on my bridles, it would have no function other than decoration, as I'd leave it loose - I don't believe in tight nosebands, flashes or other gadgets that constrain what the horse can do with its mouth - I want that information - and I don't use martingales or tie-downs because I want a horse in self-carriage, not one that's constrained. I did a post that's on the sidebar on why I don't use gadgets - not sure if nosebands are mentioned or not. So no need for a noseband, and besides I like how their faces look without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the photos, Kate. I'm gonna have to do one about my horses soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tour of your herd, past and present. I agree with you on the gadgets, I guess I didn't notice that you don't use them because I think it's normal not to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd wager that every one of those photos brings back some powerful memories. I know the many pictures I have of my Boys--I've only owned geldings--always do.

    Lovely group of equines, each special in his/her own way. You've had a lucky equine life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour. You have had a beautiful group of equine companions.

    These are the first pictures that I have seen of Lily and Norman jumping. Wow! Those two are seriously athletic! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely! I don't think there is an animal that is as beautiful as a horse. Our 2 boys are beginning to shed out at the end of another long, cold winter here. Sadly, I think this may have been the last winter for our old Rufus, a 26 year old Arab gelding. Poor old fella is feeling his age and is suffering from a arthritic hip. I hate to think of him not being here with us, but also don't want him to suffer through another winter. It's so hard to know what they would want us to do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe it has been a year since Drifter joined the family - time FLIES!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're lucky to have had, and still have, great horses in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww they are all such beautiful horses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! That pony sure makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photo album Kate, gorgeous horses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.