Saturday, April 14, 2012

After Freaky Friday, Satisfactory Saturday

Today I rode both Dawn and Pie, and everything was satisfactory, after freaky Friday yesterday.  Today I rode Dawn for the first time in 10 days - she's on day 9 of her EPM treatment and seems to be making good progress.  I took her up to the big outdoor arena - it's about 100 yards from the barn across from one of the big pastures.  I lunged her in there yesterday, and the arena is next to the pasture she's turned out in, so the area isn't completely foreign to her.  We hand walked around the arena once in each direction, and I lunged her (really led from behind) around a bit more, then just got on.  She did very well.  We only walked and trotted, and didn't do any tight turns.  The arena is on a bit of a slope and she dealt well with the slight uphill and downhill.  Her gaits are much more normal, and there was no toe-dragging or tripping.  The only thing I noticed was that she was pretty braced, and leaning on my hands - she wasn't using her hind end as well as she used to - I expect that will come back as her strength rebuilds.

Later in the afternoon, I rode Pie out there as well - no lungeing, just a lead-around, then I got on.  He'd been out there a few times for leading around, but it was the first time I'd ridden him out there, and all other horses were distant, but he coped well. He also did very well with his ridden work, with some very nice softening work at the walk and trot, and some good shortening/lengthening work as well.  We did some nice gate opening/closing work with me mounted - he's very good at this and came to me that way, trained by his old man.  We also walked around in the pasture nearest the outdoor arena, and then did a little work in the indoor as well.

5 comments:

  1. nice to read Dawn continues to improve, and Good Pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received an email from horse.com and they are having a free webinar on EPM:

    Case Studies in Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM)
    FREE Webinar Thursday, April 26, 2012 8-9 p.m. EDT

    Barb in Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. More info for you: Stumbling, incoordination, asymmetrical lameness, muscle loss, and seizures. All of these and more are possible clinical signs of equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM). And, while EPM is one of the most common neurologic diseases in horses, it’s not always simple to diagnose and treat.

    Join TheHorse.com and presenter Stephen Reed, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM, of Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., who will discuss his firsthand experiences with EPM through in-depth case studies.

    Register now for this free webinar
    on April 26th at 8 p.m. EDT, brought to you by Merck Animal Health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiltwhinny - Dawn was recently diagnosed with EPM through the new ELISA peptide test that's in clinical trials, and was also treated with the new protocol being used in those trials. Both my geldings also had EPM and made full recoveries, with the same treatment, as we caught it very early. We did not use Marquis - my vet believes that the new treatment is superior - I can't speak to that but do know that the new treatment seems to be highly effective in most horses. Don't know what testing and treatment protocols will be discussed in the webinar - check out my EPM page for details on my and my horses' experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate them! If you are not a registered user, please feel free to leave an anonymous comment - a first name or screen name is appreciated. The only exception to anonymous comments is if you wish to endorse a book or product - then I'd like to know who you are, and I may delete comments that are put up for marketing purposes and will delete spam.