Friday, June 1, 2012

Dawn and I Do the Mind Meld

I had a very good ride on Dawn today - good one on Pie too.  They both had a well-deserved day off yesterday.  Dawn and I did a lot of very nice walk and trot work and then focussed on trot/canter transitions.  We did a lot of nice canter work - she's still pretty braced to the right but to the left she was able to do some steps of softness.  I worked hard at just letting her move - allowing the canter, without holding her too much - she needs to find her own relaxation and I need not to hold and constrain her.

But the really amazing thing was that all of our trot/canter transitions were done through "mind meld" - you know, the Vulcan thing.  All, and I mean absolutely all, I had to do to get canter was to think 1-2, 1-2 for the trot and then 1-2-3 for the canter - the instant I changed the rhythm in my mind, she cantered - no physical aids at all.  Pure delight - I just had to be careful to not let the canter rhythm enter my mind until the exact instant I wanted canter or else that's what I got.

We also worked on regaining relaxation in trot after each canter set - we're getting there and she's starting to understand that she doesn't have to gallop when I ask for canter . . .

10 comments:

  1. I love the "mind meld," Griffin and I do it a lot with direction and halts. I think it's really neat that I can "think" about a destination point, focus on it, and set it in my mind, and Griffin will beeline right towards it without further urging.
    I think things like this really fall into place when a good connection is developed between horse and rider :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah.. things to work towards. I can achieve mind meld with Lena--though getting her to NOT anticipate is a challenge--but Bar wants to argue--passively, but argue nonetheless. Of course, the fact that I'm usually asking him while trying to convince myself may also be at fault. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done Kate that sounds fantastic!!!! I bet you are on cloud 9!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Kate! It sounds like you and Dawn are doing wonderfully well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you and Dawn are really moving forward. Just think about where you were a year ago...

    It occurs to me that the flip side of the mind meld is not visualizing what you don't want to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great feeling to be that in sync with your horse. Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just reminded me of a neat concept that I read about years ago. The rider must have two minds: one mind that is available to the horse for cues and conversation and one mind that is sequestered for the horse. The sequestered mind is for planning what you want to do or things that you need to think about when you ride, but may cause your horse to anticipate or take cues when you do not want them.

    You were most likely doing this. How else could you think about wanting to canter before you cantered without giving a cue to her too early?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when that happens. I had a lot of those with Smokey, now Lily and I are getting our mind meld down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great to be in sync with your horse. I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.