Saturday, July 28, 2012

News Updates

We've finally got some decent weather - temps in the 80s instead of upper 90s or over 100F.  Dawn and I have had some nice rides - she's been extra snuggly - lots of "head rests" while I'm grooming her. I rode her in the indoor this morning - a very nice ride although she was very snarky to the other two horses in there - lots of ear pinning and ugly looks.  Dawn has about a 10 foot personal space bubble, so this wasn't surprising.

Pie and I had a very nice 2 1/2 hour trail ride with two other boarders this morning.  Pie was Pie, which means that he was relaxed and very good.  We even did some cantering in company, and he was just fine with that - good Pie!  He's perfectly happy to lead or to follow, and I think he's growing into just about the perfect trail horse.

Red and I are still doing what I call "pasture patrol" - I lead him out to one of the pastures and we do a careful check all over - fencelines, pick up any trash or debris, and stop and watch anything interesting. He really appreciates having an important job to do.  Then we spent some time in the indoor just standing around - his only job then is to stay out of my space - while another horse was worked.  He did great with everything.  He's seeing the chiropractor on Monday, and I'm hoping we'll be able to start walk work under saddle at the end of next week.

And in sad news, my 90 year old father died peacefully in his sleep yesterday afternoon.  He'd been fading, but he was in his own home and his own bed and had a very good week right up to the point he went to sleep and didn't wake up.  I wish for such a good end, for us all.

19 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Kate, I'm so sorry about your dad's passing - but you are right, if we are going to go that is the best way! My dad is also 90 and although he is physically fine he struggles with his memory. He is aware enough to know that he doesn't remember things and he gets so discouraged.
    Your work with the horses sounds so pleasant. I'm glad the weather has turned a bit cooler for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your father. Prayers to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like he had a good, long life. Living in his own home until 90 is quite an accomplishment and what a gift to pass in his sleep. We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of your father's passing, but what a way for him to go! That's about as perfect an end as one can hope for. Not so easy for the rest of the family, though, and I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to read about your dad, I lost my dad earlier this year and it leaves a large hole in your heart, but fill it with those special memories and it will make it a tin but easier! My thoughts are with you. I am sure your ponies will look after you htough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your Father, but you are correct, that has to be the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate,
    Sorry to read about your Dad...his passing sounded very peaceful. I have a feeling that your horses are going to offer you great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing. I hope there are many happy memories of a life well lived.

    Glad to hear about how well all the horses are doing, and Dawn's hugs especially!

    ReplyDelete
  10. `So sorry to hear that your dad has passed away :( but at least he passed peacefully in his sleep xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear the news about your father.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many condolences on your father's passing. It sounds like he had a long life that he was able to enjoy up to the end. I agree with you, we should all be so lucky.

    I'm facing losing my own father to cancer very soon, except he is more than 30 years younger than your father and is not having a peaceful ending. It is the hardest thing I've ever experienced, watching him. The only thing worse is watching my mom struggle watching him die, as well as trying to face that her life will go on without him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate, sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sympathy on the loss of your father. A quiet and peaceful end is a blessing, but the loss is still painful. Wishing you and your family all the best in this sad time.

    As for the horses, what a treasure to have those three to keep you smiling. Pie is practically perfect in every way, Dawn is as charming as ever, and Red continues to demonstrate his own special personality. I totally agree that he is proud to have such an important pasture patrol job! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your father, but you are right, we should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kate;

    As Melissa mentioned our thoughts and prayers are with you on the loss of your father. Unfortunately I know personally how hard it is to watch a parent die; my dad has been gone for fifteen years now. I agree that we should all have such a peaceful end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear of your Father's passing but yes, that is a noble way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kate.
    Though the trail ride on Pie sounds wonderful.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just catching up on your blog; my condolences on the passing of your father, I hope that when my dad passes it too will be peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.