Saturday, August 25, 2012

Dawn Hates Me

I don't know if Dawn actually hates me, or if she's just ignoring me and hoping I'll go away.  She's clearly very depressed about my younger daughter leaving again - I'm clearly a second-best substitute - and yes, I do believe that horses can be depressed.  She hasn't attempted to bite me again - we had a bit of an altercation about that as biting is something I don't tolerate - making biting motions to express pain or displeasure is fine, but actual contact is a no-no.  She largely looks through me/ignores me when I'm interacting with her, and the soft eye isn't there - there's more of an abstracted/absent eye.  She's pretty compliant - we had a rinse off today - all my horses did as it was very hot - but she ignored me throughout and when back in her stall. I'm hoping we can recover our connection, and I'm hoping to ride her tomorrow - we'll see how things go . . .

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure she'll get over it soon. She probably is missing your daughter and is depressed about not seeing her. Dusty also has the ability to totally ignore me. I sometimes think she's just putting up with me because she has to. Mares are so different than the geldings. I haven't figured out why just yet though. Geldings never seem to have an agenda or hold a grudge, Dusty definitely does, as have other mares I've known. Good luck with Dawn, she'll come around eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely depressed and sad. Today for the first time, she showed some signs of thawing . . .

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you are right about Dawn reacting (grieving) over your daughter leaving again. Horses do have a primary bond and for some of them, like Dawn - who seems the emotional type - they really are one person horses. I know Dawn enjoys working with you and I'm sure one of these days she will rest her head on your shoulder again with a soft eye. She's just having a hard time right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem sad - I'm hoping things start to turn around for her.

      Delete
  3. Who isn't prone to being overly emotional when they're in heat?! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My paint mare is the same way, although I've always been her "primary." As much time as you spend with Dawn, don't discount the relationship YOU have with her--she knows you work hard to keep her comfortable and happy. I've found that jealousy works sometimes--when Friday turns away from me, I'll lavish attention on someone else (when this works, her expression is always priceless..."No! Wait! I was really going to let you halter me! I just didn't know we were going out!"). Other days, she acts like could care less, and on those days I wonder if I'd get anywhere with her if I forced it anyway. When you've got a strong-willed and intelligent mare on your hands, it's a real trick to keep goodwill in the relationship.

    I also hope she's feeling OK. If the "I'm not enjoying your company at all" stuff continues, I'd start suspecting ulcers rather than hormones or depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealousy doesn't work with Dawn . . . Today for the first time, she's starting to be more interesting in being with me - hope it continues.

      Delete
  5. Maybe she will feel better if you commiserate with her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are clearly documented studies that even gnats have feelings, so horses of course do :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.