Friday, September 21, 2012

Witness Protection Program (!)

When my vet/chiro sent Red's blood in for his EPM test, she had to let the researcher Dr. Ellison as well as the pharmacy from which his medicine was ordered know that Red was the horse previously named Drifter, whose records they already had.  My vet/chiro told me that she told them that Red was in the witness protection program - the pharmacy tech I talked to actually remembered that and mentioned it to me when I mentioned his name change.  I got a good laugh out of that description!  Red is certainly a reformed character - he's gone from a difficult, worried, sometimes pushy or aggressive horse, to one that's still sensitive and spirited but who is also very willing to try to the best of his ability to do anything I ask.  I think his name change was a good acknowledgement of how far he's come, and allows me to think of him as the new horse he is rather than the troubled horse he was.

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting that a name could help make such a difference. I did have a trainer tell me one time that horses often live up to their names, so she warned me to be careful not to name them "Buck", "Twister", etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the name does influence how we thing about them. I'm always reluctant to change a horse's name, but sometimes it's a good idea.

      Delete
  2. I've got one like that too. He was "hard" for lack of a better term. Poor guy didn't even have a name, he was always just "the paint". I gave him a name,(Trax- cuz he has spots that look like paw prints) and it has been uphill from there. We are friends now, commrads and partners. The more he learns to trust that I am not going to wail on him, the more he gives to me.
    I love your blog. I learn so much here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - thanks, I'm glad you're finding something of use here.

      Delete
  3. I had a couple of stray labradors turn up on my place last week. They had name tags and the female's name was....drum roll please....Wanda, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name change really worked well for him. I had to laugh at the idea of him being in a witness protection program though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the witness protection program scenario! I never change their names either but in Red's case it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Drifter was a cool name but I do agree that changing his name was a good thing. It definitely clearly marked the (wonderful) changes in him and your relationship with him. He's quite the guy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.