Monday, December 17, 2012

Still Feisty After All These Years . . .

Dawn is still a very feisty little thing at age 15, and has very clear ideas about her (very large) personal bubble, into which no horse (particularly no gelding) is allowed to intrude.  We had a very nice work session this morning, including some excellent canter work with lovely cadence and balance.  At one point, another horse (a gelding) was in the ring being led along the quarter line, and Dawn and I were cantering on the rail.  Our ring is very narrow, but there was a good fifteen feet of clearance between Dawn and the other horse.  Just as we passed the other horse in our canter, Dawn gave an enormous buck/kick in the direction of the other horse.  I told her to stop it, and we just kept right on cantering - she didn't miss a step, and her canter stayed just as nice as it was before the buck/kick.

Still feisty after all these years . . .

9 comments:

  1. My mare Catana still had a few tricks up her sleeve when I retired her at 25, those girls are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I doubt she will ever quit now :) My Jessie does not like other horses either (specially geldings too) But she is much to lazy to kick or buck at them, grouchy ears work just as good for her, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only mare I ever rode is like this but like crystal she was too lazy and instead just glared at them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feisty indeed. Of course, 15 is not really that old, but I do like her sense of self-importance. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's a girl who likes her personal space obviously. Feisty is good. She reminds me a lot of Dusty (16) who doesn't ever kick out or buck but she has a problem if another horse tries to get in front of her. This little mare can trot at full throttle and even overtake Grady who is 18 hands. Gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, Dawn! The gelding must have said something rude.

    Harley may not be a mare, but he is still feisty (at 14). He has trotted and cantered circles around many horses larger or younger than him and on the trail, he leaves them all in the dust. And that is just in his power trot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I like Dawn. I wonder if I will miss these opinionated mare moments down the road when Dickie is my main mount. Opinionated tb mares are the best if them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love those mares . . . I'm a big mare fan, despite the fact that I also love my two geldings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.