Wednesday, October 23, 2013

From Famine to Feast

While I was moving, the horses had four days off from riding - it seemed like an eternity to me.  But, finally, today, the last boxes were emptied and I rode all three horses.  I even sacrificed my music lessons - cancelled - to ride - horse trumps music when I haven't ridden in so long.

The weather has turned sharply colder - it really feels like late fall now.  The highs are in the mid 40s, and there has been frost overnight.  This morning when I rode Dawn, it was only 30 in the indoor arena.

I was delighted with all three of them - even though it was cold, and they hadn't been ridden in days, they were all three just about perfect.  No lungeing, just get on and go - everyone stood perfectly for mounting. Dawn was brimming with energy, but held it all together.  My objective with her was to get some relaxation by the end of our ride, and we got there - some nice trot work on a fairly loose rein.  Red was, I think, delighted to be doing something with me again - he tends to sulk when not in work - and didn't put a foot wrong.  By the end of our ride, he'd warmed up out of being stiff and gave me some really nice trot work with excellent engagement.  Pie was perfect, and did some really outstanding loose rein canter work.  He also easily comes to a halt just off my intent, even from a canter.  And his idea of a good time, even when it's cold and he's been off work for four days, is to stand in the center of the ring and just chill, and we did some of that together.

Happy, happy indeed.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. Seems they were happy to see you and have some work to do. We've turned cold here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect time with horses to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooled off here too.

    How lovely to have all three horses so well behaved after those days off. It makes all the hard work worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put us to shame. We moved weeks ago and we still have boxes everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I'll bet your place is much larger than mine . . .

      Delete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.