Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Muddy Horse is a Happy Horse

We had a fair amount of rain a couple of days ago, which means that now we have a fair amount of mud.  And not just mud on the ground or packed into horse feet, but mud plastered all over horses - manes, tails, heads and forelocks and pretty much every square inch that can be brought into contact with the ground and some areas you're not sure how they managed to put in contact with the ground.

But a muddy horse is a happy horse who's had a fine time rolling in turnout, and even though it makes for extra grooming work, I don't mind.  I don't bother trying to remove wet mud, except from lower legs and feet.  But if the mud's dry, since the horses are growing their winter woolies, out comes the metal scraper, and the mud comes off pretty easily.

I don't usually ride on Sundays, but since Pie had already had two days off - I had social engagements both Friday and Saturday which cut my horse time short - we got in a short ride.  The others, including a friend's horse I'm taking care of this week (that would be three other horses), just got their feet picked and minimalist treatment - just scraping off the worst muddy bits and checking for wounds.

Pie got scraped and then got the usual full grooming - it took a while.  I discovered he'd managed to get kicked high up on the inside of his left hind (how do they do that?), so that had to be cleaned and medicated.

The mud's not completely dry out in the pastures, so I expect I'll be seeing more muddy horses tomorrow . . .

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much mud their coats can hold either. Sometimes it's quite a job to get it all out. Hope you dry out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of mud! I usually end up just as muddy as the horses started when I try to groom mine after a mud bath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, do they ever love rolling in mud. Silly beasts! Spencer loves rubbing his face in whatever he is rolling in, whether it be mud, wet sand or snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too often wonder how they get mud in so many strange places on their bodies. Some horses are just masters of mudbaths.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.