Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tick? This Late in the Season? Cold, and Colder . . .

Yesterday, when I was grooming Pie, I felt what seemed like an odd flap of skin in his throat latch area, just behind his jaw.  But when I looked more closely, it was . . . a tick . . .  Yuck is all I can say.  I've found only a couple of ticks on the horses this whole season, but a tick in November? Since the temperatures had fallen into the low 30s and it was snowing, it wasn't a very lively tick, but still.  We've had a couple of very hard freezes already this season so I'm not sure how it survived, although we've had some days in the 50s recently and it could be a new one.  Or it could have been in the large bales the horses are now getting in their turnouts - the location on Pie made me think of that.  Just to be careful, I'll be probably have Pie retested for Lyme in about a month (the Cornell test can pick up infection 3-5 weeks out), since although this tick didn't look like the type that transmits Lyme, there clearly are ticks around . . .

Yesterday we had some rain and wind, with temperatures in the low 40s, but during the day the temperatures fell below freezing and it snowed a bit.  There was snow on the ground this morning, and it barely got to freezing today, and it's windy too, so the wind chills were in the teens this morning.  Brrrr . . .  Yesterday morning when I was riding Dawn, it was 40 in the indoor; this morning it was 30.  Despite the much colder temperatures, all horses have been just great, and we've been having some very good rides.  I think they prefer winter, provided they can keep warm and dry.

I actually like winter too, but just I care to keep warm, too.  Winter seems to me to be a time of more simplicity, and perhaps clarity, and there's a freshness to the air . . . it can be a time for thought and contemplation . . .

5 comments:

  1. We get ticks here well into the winter, actually. I think they are just mean enough to ignore the freezing temperatures.

    Actually, according to this website: http://natickanimal.com/2012/12/01/ticks-thrive-in-winter-months-lyme-disease-risk-rises/
    deer ticks thrive through the winter into March. It's 'their time of year." I know I've always found ticks on my Boys in the winter.

    Wish I had more encouraging information, but we are all just going to have to be diligent in checking both our horses and ourselves for the duration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the benefits of the high desert where we live is no ticks. However, the flies have been persistent even though we've had nights at freezing.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Pie, he does have his issue with Lyme's! Hope he remains well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been picking those blood suckers off on a regular basis. Yesterday found one on the dog too. So we still have to keep a watch out for them. Snowed here yesterday and it's cold but they are persistent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tick season here is October through April. They seem to like the cold weather...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.