Monday, January 27, 2014

-8 and Dropping . . .

Right now, the temperature is -8F with a wind chill of -28F.  And overnight, temperatures are supposed to drop to around -17, with wind chills in the -30s.  My horses have been in their stalls all day, and will be in all day tomorrow - things are supposed to improve somewhat by mid-day Wednesday, so they'll probably get a few hours of turnout.

Today, I was at the barn twice to pick stalls, groom and hand walk the horses.  Everybody's doing fine - Dawn is resigned and hates the cold weather anyway, Pie is happy to get out for a few minutes but glad to go back in his stall if there's hay, and Red is very fretful and dissatisfied, although he settles down once our routine is completed.

More of the same tomorrow, and perhaps I'll have some time to start watching the Mark Rashid videos, on softness, that came with the books . . .

11 comments:

  1. Stay warm! It is the same here in Michigan and only getting colder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! Good luck! Stay warm. I bet your horses appreciate the hand walking. Any tiime we spend with them breaks up their day and gives them a little extra fun. My horses were in last night and I am sure they are climbing the walls by now. I will stick them outside as soon as it is above zero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's unbelievable. A good day for watching videos and staying indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After riding Rio yesterday, all I could think about was everything you have said about bracing and softness. I was a terrible reactive rider! I think I'd better just get Marks books and start studying to improve myself so I can improve my horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the horses cooperate with the routine. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I honestly cannot even imagine it being that cold. I guess all a person can do in weather like that, is just survive and get through it. I'm so relieved to hear that you and the horses are managing, despite being obviously tired of it. Lots of extra effort just to maintain the status quo. I sure hope your weather warms up real soon and life can return to normal. But like you said, every single day is one day closer to spring! Now there's something to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading about your temperatures makes me immediately feel better about what we are dealing with. We are supposed to go down to 8 degrees tonight thanks to lovely polar vortex #3. I don't EVER remember having horses blanketed so much but they have pretty well been clothed almost every single day in January b/c even when it has been warmer it has been wet. At least we haven't had to deal with snow yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there. Cold here too...so tired of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.