Wednesday, February 5, 2014

All is Well, and Blog Sabbatical

Today things were much better with all three horses, mainly due to my riding better - keeping my eyes up, posture erect and focussed on where I wanted to go really made a difference.

My day started early in the morning with Dawn.  We'd had about 6 inches of snow overnight, and when I went to get her she'd just rolled and her face was all covered with snow.  The right side of her neck is still a bit sore, but today when I was massaging it she didn't try to bite at me but instead would just back up if I was putting too much pressure on.  There was no head-shaking during our ride, and she was forward but soft and very responsive.

In the afternoon the boys and I had great rides.  Red and I went out with the intention to have a relaxing, soft ride, and we had our focus and straightness back - we did lots of walk and trot to the spot.  His transitions were pretty much all OK, and we even did a bit of canter work without him getting worked up afterwards - his canter is much more smooth and relaxed after all the trot work we've done.  My ride on Pie was also very good - lots of very nice trot and canter work, with good softness and engagement.

Tomorrow we're back in the deep freeze again - highs in the single digits and wind chills well below zero all day.  The boys will probably be fine with that, but Dawn is staying in for the day and I'll hand walk her a couple of times.  The next week looks like lows near or below zero most days and highs only in the teens - that we can live with since we can probably ride.

* * * * * *
The blog is going to take a break for about a month.  I won't be posting or reading or commenting on others' posts.  I love the horse blogging community, but I need to take some time to do some other things, including thinking and writing about horses in a way that is less related to the daily needs of the blog.  We'll see what comes of that . . .   Wishing you all well, and hope to see you in March!

19 comments:

  1. I suppose this is okay with me...as long as you promise to come back ;) enjoy your break! We all need one from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your break! I will miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just come back eventually! Happy rides until you update us again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time off. I'll look forward to March and your new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already looking forward to your return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your well-deserved sabbatical! Let's hope it's warmer when you return. Thanks for all your indoor riding inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A break is as good as a rest... and I'm really curious to see what you come up with , in writing about horses. A book, perhaps? Your writing has certainly helped me, in a different way than just reading the works of a clinician, because it comes from the same perspective I have- just someone who wants to do the best for her horses and become the best horsewoman possible in the time God gives us. It's a gift, this journey through life with horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be here when you get back. :-) Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a fun break with your horses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See you then. I'll wager your rides will be even better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As everyone else, I wish you happy "February off" and hope your new projects are fruitful. Looking forward to your return. In the meantime, ride well ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.