Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mark Rashid Blog Post on Fear, and Red is Doing Well

A subject near and dear to the hearts of many people who handle and work with horses - fear.  Take a read of Mark's blog post today on the subject.

Red's surgery was supposed to start around 9:30 this morning, but the surgeon was delayed and things didn't get underway until around 11:00.  I hung around throughout - had my laptop and a book and talked to the office staff.  At around 1:30, one of the techs came out with a message - the surgery went very well, and Red was in the recovery room and had stood up.  He stayed in the recovery room for about an hour and then went back to his stall.  I got to visit him there briefly - he was still a bit wobbly so I couldn't go in his stall, but he was eating a bit of wet hay - the first thing he'd had to eat since midnight last night - and although he raised his head to say hello he went right back to eating.  It was good to see him alive and well - his hind leg was tightly wrapped from hock to foot, and he was standing comfortably on it.

And I got a souvenir - they gave me the piece of his splint bone that had been removed - it was about 10 cm or 3+ inches as the surgeon had expected:


And here's the fractured tip:


I'm sure glad we took that x-ray 10 days ago.  I'm now discussing with the vets what sort of sedation he'll need to tolerate stall rest and with the barn manager where in the barn he will go for the two weeks he can't leave his stall.

More clinic posts in the works . . .

17 comments:

  1. So glad to hear he's doing well--its not easy when our horse kids are injured! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Red Kate! He sure is lucky to have you. :D

    Thanks for passing on the link to Mark Rashid's blog. I didn't realize he had one separate from his website. Today's post certainly dovetails nicely with your first clinic writeup. Will be back for more installments. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Red is recovering well. I hope he continues to do well and doesn't hate stall rest too much. So cool that they gave you the splint bone! I find that sort of thing fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about Red. Hope he improves quickly. Going to check out Mark's blog...thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the surgery went well and that he did good on the recovery too. I'll go check out Mark's blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending healing vibes to Red! I have a bone chip from my old TB's orbital bone that the vet gave me....was never quite sure what to do with it haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things went well -- kids and horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it went well for Red.

    I thought you might like that post he put up. It coincides with your previous post nicely, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he finished the post after our clinic - there were several riders there with fear issues.

      Delete
  9. Echoing all the "Whew!" posts above. It's always good to know everything went as hoped. Looking forward to more news from your clinic and about the rest of the herd. Healing wishes to Red, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to hear that Red's surgery is over with, and was successful...I'll bet you're very relieved. :) And thanks for the link - I enjoyed that story a lot, and will take it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear he came out of surgery well. Sugar had splint surgery in 2010.. and, has been fine every since! Sending you our jingles for a complete and quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear Red is done with the surgery and on the road to recovery. As stall rest goes I guess two weeks isn't too awful . . . although I imagine it will feel more like six months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great news, glad things went so well with Red's surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is not at all how I would have expected a bone to look! Fascinating!
    Jingles for a quick and easy recovery for sweet Red!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate them! If you are not a registered user, please feel free to leave an anonymous comment - a first name or screen name is appreciated. The only exception to anonymous comments is if you wish to endorse a book or product - then I'd like to know who you are, and I may delete comments that are put up for marketing purposes and will delete spam.