Friday, April 4, 2014

Plan B for the Clinic (or Maybe It's Plan C - But Who's Counting?)

Red is still not sound, and his left hind leg is still swollen behind and below the injury area, although there is little or no heat or tenderness.  The wound itself seems to finally be healing well. I cold hosed for a while this afternoon, and the leg looked a bit better, and we didn't ride and I gave him a gram of bute to see if we can get the inflammation down. The vet is coming to do our last spring shots on Monday, and I'm going to have her take a look at him and give me her opinion.  (It's quite the week with vet visits - Dawn has her dental surgery evaluation on Tuesday.)

In the event Red isn't rideable except at the walk by the time of the clinic, he's still going, and here's the plan.  I have an hour a day with each horse.  I would ride Red at the walk for one day - there's a huge amount of work we can do on bringing the energy up and down smoothly and without abruptness at the walk, and reducing my asks to as close to nothing as possible - we can do shortening/lengthening work, walk/halt transitions, backing, lateral work - turns on the forehand/haunches, side pass, backing and putting that all together, and we can do moving lateral work - shoulder in, haunches in and converting leg yield into half pass.  Then one day Red and I can work on trailer loading.   Pie and I will do our three days of ridden work, and then Pie can "borrow" Red's unused third day to work on trailer loading - Pie will have one hour of ridden work and one hour of trailer loading on that day.

If need be, this plan still allows us to do a lot of very useful work together.  And there's still the remote chance that Red will be sound - keeping fingers crossed . . .


5 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there to watch you and Mark work together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty darn good plan to me, but here's hoping he's sound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. With her dental problems right now, no, and in addition she's got some trailering issues - not the loading part, the riding on the trailer part - that I've been avoiding.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it will still be a productive clinic- but I hope Red heals up much better by clinic time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.