Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Red Update - Keeping Fingers Crossed

Yesterday afternoon and evening Red was much quieter - the long-term sedative seems to be starting to help as the Ace would have long ago worn off.  His Previcox may also be starting to work to make him less uncomfortable. He did pretty well with Dawn through the late morning into early evening, and was glad to see Pie when I brought him in after lunch.  There were only a few instances of kicking. I put more Neosporin on his pastern rubs when I picked his feet.  He and I have worked out a way for me to pick the foot on his bandaged leg - I can't really pick it up so he rests it on its toe so I can pick it that way.

Last evening when I went by to give him his evening SMZs, he was resting quietly and his bandage was intact.  And he'd eaten all his hay and had a goodly amount of water to drink - when he was fretful he wasn't eating and drinking well - too busy kicking and churning around in his stall.  As he ate his meds, I slathered some Corona ointment on his bandaged heel to help keep rubs at bay.  Then I gave him some more hay which he eagerly started to eat. And I was able to pick his stall with the manure can in the stall door without him trying to push his way out.  Much improved over the night before.

This morning I got to the barn about 6:15 a.m. to see how he was doing as horses were turned out.  He was much better than yesterday, but still a bit worried and moving around the stall.  But there was very little kicking and the bandage was pretty much intact.  The vet got there around 8:30 and repeated the Ace/Reserpine injections - he's now had three doses of Reserpine.  And, for the first time since the hospital, his bandage got to stay on for more than one day - this is important to keep the swelling down.  Tomorrow at his bandage change the vet will use a shorter bandage, which should help with the rubs. Throughout the day he was much quieter, with both Dawn and Pie as a neighbor, and he only stamped the leg a couple of times.  He was also less insistent on escaping the stall, which made it easier to pick.  When I left him this afternoon, he was eating quietly next to Pie.  I'll be going back at 7:00 p.m. to give him his evening meds.

Keeping fingers crossed that he'll have smoother waters from here on out . . .

And I managed rides on both Dawn and Pie today - they were both very good.  Dawn is showing some mild EPM symptoms - not lame but just a bit "funky" - and when I did the foot placement test, she failed with both the left front and left hind.  She was vaccinated for rabies two weeks ago, and it's likely that this symptom flare up is due to that - vaccinations often trigger minor symptom recurrence in former EPM horses in the 10 day to two week time frame.  I'm not too worried about it, and unless the symptoms persist or get worse, she should be fine in a few days.  And Dawn's dental surgery has been rescheduled for June 4 - she was originally scheduled for May 8 but she's eating well right now and I've got my hands full with Red.  The dental surgery vet team will try to do her surgery on the farm and we'll only move her to the clinic if it's absolutely necessary - keeping fingers crossed on that as well.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are a little better. Whether it's kids, spouses, or horses, being the care giver can be taxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red seems to be calming down. That's good. Sometimes they accept their situation after a few days and become model patients. I hope he continues to heal and stay calm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad to hear things have simmered down a bit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so behind on blogs I didn't know anything had happened to Red. I'm so sorry he was injured, but I'm glad it's improving a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have walked in your shoes and understand how utterly draining this whole ordeal is for you and Red. I'm glad today was a better day, onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that Red is resting quieter and leaving those bandages alone. I'm sure you're sleeping better too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note to Red: Keep calm and carry on! Hope he continues to be more accepting of his confinement, poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful news! I sure hope it's smooth sailing from here on...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.