Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Red's Surgery is Tomorrow

Red's splint bone surgery is scheduled for around 9:30 tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.  I talked to the surgeon this afternoon after delivering Red to the vet hospital.  The surgeon expects to be removing the bottom 10 cm of his lateral left hind splint bone - the portion that is fractured and also the portion above that is pulled away from the cannon bone.

Including time for sedation, prep, anesthesia, the surgery and recovery from anesthesia, the total time is 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  The riskiest portion is the recovery when horses attempt to stand for the first time after waking up.  The surgery itself should be straightforward.

After surgery, Red will likely return home on Friday, and then have 2-3 weeks of stall rest.  He's not going to think much of that, but there is a stall available in the main barn (a horse just moved) that Red can use during the day - it's right in the main aisle opposite the wash rack and there should be lots to watch.  At night he can be in his regular stall next to Pie.  Once the stitches are out and he's in a pen, things should be easier.

Recovery from this surgery, if the suspensory ligament and flexor tendon are not affected - the fact that he's almost sound now is a good indication that things may be OK - should be uneventful, and I should be riding him at the walk after 3 weeks.

I spent some time sitting with him this afternoon to reassure him that I was still there, and he seemed fairly settled.  I won't see him again until after the surgery - keeping fingers (and toes and hooves) crossed that all goes well.  I'll be working on blog posts on the clinic while I'm waiting - someone at the barn asked me what I'd learned at the clinic, and I replied that there are so many things that I'd have to share my written reports with her to explain.

12 comments:

  1. Prayers on the way for Red's surgery and quick healing -- and peace for you. Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan - thank you for including me as well as Red in your prayers - I'm probably far more nervous about the whole thing than he is!

      Delete
  2. Good luck to Red -- and you! Keep us posted on how everything goes, of course.

    I understand about having to process what you've learned and write it all down. I took notes at all the writing panels and lectures I went to at a conference about 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't had a chance to really process it all. It's especially difficult since I've been so busy in April...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be thinking of you and Red at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Good luck and fingers crossed for an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking happy thoughts for Red!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending good thoughts and healing energy to Red and a hug to you - will be happy to read that he's safely through surgery very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck to your beautiful Red!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strong positive thoughts to you and Red.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all goes well and Red will be better than ever when this is all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please add my good thoughts and positive energy for Pie - thinking of you both. Looking forward to the clinic posts too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry - make that Red Kate - I was looking at Pie's cute little head in the sidebar when I typed that lol. Hope all went well today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate them! If you are not a registered user, please feel free to leave an anonymous comment - a first name or screen name is appreciated. The only exception to anonymous comments is if you wish to endorse a book or product - then I'd like to know who you are, and I may delete comments that are put up for marketing purposes and will delete spam.