Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pie Has Pulses, and New Summer Schedule?

Red is now out for about 3 hours a day with the herd, and seems to be enjoying it very much.  Pie is still confined in a pen, and I had been hand grazing him - we'd made it up to 15 minutes.  But, oops!  When I checked him last evening, he had a digital pulse on the lateral side of his right front foot - no heat or ouchiness but the pulse is a warning sign.  No more grass for him for a while - we've been having a lot of rain and the grass is profuse and rich and his system - customized for the sparse grasses of Montana - just can't take it.  Fortunately, this morning, even with no meds, he had no pulse.  I'll be waiting at least until July 1 to start hand grazing him again, but the timing will depend on the weather.

I like my barn in many respects - the owner is very nice and accommodating, the stalls in the little barn I'm in are very large - 12'x14' and the little barn stays cooler in summer and warmer in winter - it's an old converted concrete block dairy barn that is partly below ground - and the turnout is very good - large pastures and 7x a week all day turnout except in the very coldest or hottest times or when there's ice.

One of the things that's nice about our barn is that there's an indoor - the barn I came from didn't have one, which was a major negative.  The outdoor arena isn't anything to write home about - it isn't level and is partly sand and partly grass.  The negative about the indoor is that it's small - less than 60'x120', and when the hunter/jumper trainer is holding lessons, it's hard to find room to ride except for dinking around on the rail, which I don't much enjoy.

But during the summer, the h/j trainer has no lessons on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  So guess when I'm planning to ride?  We'll be doing a 4 days on, 3 days off schedule for now - Dawn may do 3 days on, 4 days off.  On other days, I'll just enjoy grooming and interacting with my horses - there's more to life than riding.  When we ride, I'll be able to set cones and poles, and use the whole arena.  And on days I don't ride, I'll have time to do some other things . . . today I took a really nice one-hour walk . . .

4 comments:

  1. I noticed in your last post that when hand grazing you mentioned Pie eats clover- you might want to rethink that, I'm pretty sure it's at least as rich as grass if not more. It has caused sensitivity in some of my horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley - the clover may in fact be the problem, but since our pastures are unmaintained, there is a lot of clover out there. Pie has to be able to tolerate clover in order to be turned out. I'm hoping that maybe we'll get a drier weather pattern so things can get less rich.

      Delete
  2. boy, you have a keen "eye: on your horses! glad you are so aware of issues and prevention,it seems Pis has had quite enough issues

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes wonder how you like living in your area - from what you've said, you have the most extreme weather in the nation. You also have to deal with pests and diseases that are not common everywhere. Are you from that area?

    It makes me think I could never live there, but then look where I am. Um, pretty much the same in extremes. It's only a few days in and I've had enough of Summer. Please stop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.