Saturday, July 19, 2014

Red is Still Lame . . . :(

Red is still lame on his right hind at the trot on the lunge.  No worse, maybe a little bit better.  There's no heat, no swelling, no tenderness that I'm able to detect.  The lameness came on a day or so after he was apparently kicked with a glancing blow on the front of his cannon bone on June 24 - just a nick, although there was some swelling of the extensor tendon along the front of his leg.  The swelling resolved pretty quickly with some icing, and his soundness improved as well although he's not been 100% since.

I have no idea what's up with him, so I guess it's time to call the vet . . . again.  The problem could be anywhere in his hind leg, and he doesn't seem to be improving much.  He's completely sound at the walk under saddle - in fact his walk is big and swinging - and he motors around pretty happily out in the pasture.  It's a mystery - just hoping it isn't an expensive one, considering all the vet bills I've already had this year . . .  And he's not a horse who can tolerate much if any stall rest or penning up - and of course that's how Pie, his companion for his recovery from splint bone surgery, developed ulcers . . .

He's happy and otherwise healthy, so I'm trying not be discouraged . . .  I love riding this horse, and he's amazing to ride - the most athletically gifted and sensitive horse I've ever ridden - but it seems that we get to do very little riding.

As one of my friends at the barn says, with horses if it's not one thing it's another.  The corollary of that is that with horses, it's always something . . .

8 comments:

  1. My horses do not do well with stall rest. Hope Red improves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating. We had a similar mystery thing going on with Mufasa last fall. He was sound at the walk and in the pasture but definitely short stepping in the hind. The vet couldn't find anything definitive. Brett rode him lightly and didn't do much trot and over the past months it has disappeared. Hopefully, Red's will resolve also. Like you said, with horses it is always something. Fingers crossed that this resolves; I know how much you love riding Red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, sounds like an issue that might come back. I read the horse doent like the stall for long periods. For something like that sort of injury, we over here usually let the horse stay in a grazing field. maybe for a week or two maybe more, I found good results just to leave the horse for a year even. let it chill, come back when its ready. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheyenne jones - thanks for your thoughts. I believe it's some sort of soft tissue injury that may take a while to heal. He's on full turnout, and isn't getting worse. At this point I may need to rule out a boney injury - don't think that's what we've got but the fact he isn't improving worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending good wishes. Not much more to do at this point. You must be so frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the vet can figure it out. Poor Red he has been through enough and so have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how frustrating, I hate them issues you cant really find. I too find a few months or more of no work seems to help a lot as long as there is nothing to find from the vet. Disappointing when its always the good ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw dang, hope you get it sorted out. Beamer is lame right now too- frustrating as he is my only riding horse.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.