Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 . . . and 2015 to Come

2014 was an interesting year in many respects.  I'd have to call it the year of the vet(s), but there was more to it than that.  I know some of you are new to this blog, so here's this year's events and a few posts that I'm happy about.

We had Red's left hind splint bone fracture and surgery.  We had Red's right hind ankle injury, and reinjury.  We had Pie and Dawn's infectious face crud.  We had Dawn's two rounds of dental surgery - three molars were extracted in all.  We had Pie's ulcers.  We had Dawn badly biting her tongue.  Red started an EPM infection (his second) that we treated early and nipped in the bud (this would be my 5th case of EPM - scads of info on this and Lyme in the EPM/Lyme tab). Lots and lots and lots of vet  visits . . . they all did a great job for my horses, but I wish I'd seen a lot less of vets during 2014.

I got lots of riding done - over 500 rides on my three horses - a lot less than 2013 mainly due to all the veterinary issues - but still a goodly amount.  My relationship with all three horses continued to grow.

In the spring, I had the privilege of riding again with Mark Rashid in a three-day clinic - I rode Pie and also Roxie, who was loaned to me by the clinic host.  The weather was horrible - cold and rainy - and Roxie and I had a mutual melt-down during a storm when it started hailing - terribly embarrassing but a good learning experience.  Posts on the clinic (and on other Mark Rashid clinics) are on the sidebar.

Towards the end of the year, I let Mary at Simply Horse Crazy know that, if she couldn't find another satisfactory solution to her need to find a home for Missy, that I would take her.   I lost a very special heart horse when I was 17 without knowing where she went or what happened to her, and didn't want Mary to have that experience.  And so Missy will be joining me in January - I can't wait to see her sweet face and to start working with her, and we'll hope to see Mary sometime next summer.

I did a fair amount of posting in the past year - here are some of my favorite posts - if you have others put them in the comments.  I need to figure out a way to index sort posts by topics so people can more easily find them.

My assignments from this year's Mark Rashid clinic

One of my all-time favorites - a post on the problem with the term "respect"

A post on finding the soft spot, and space

Another post on finding the soft spot, and time and energy

My ancient history with horses

2015, here we come!  Riding, riding, riding . . . I'm into my 60s now, and I don't have a bucket list, I just want to ride as much as possible and spend as much time as possible with my wonderful horses.

A very blessed and happy 2015 to all of you!

10 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see Missy on your blog now and that Mary can rest easily while she is at school knowing that Missy has such a wonderful home. This is so awesome! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a very Happy New Year with lots of good rides and a lot less vets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a lot less vet visits and many many wonderful rides! Can't wait to come visit! Happy New Year, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you many great rides on your soon-to-be four horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you! Looking forward to a healthy 2015 with lots of riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of vet issues in one year! I wish you much healthier 2015 for all the horses and many miles in the saddle to you.
    I also selfishly wish you lots of time for writing so I can read many more of your great posts this year!
    All the best!
    Wiola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, hoping its all good news with the horses this year! looking forward to more of your great insights

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!! I hope 2015 has a lot more riding and a lot less vets. :D For organizing your posts have you tried using tags? The only problem is you would have to go back and add tags to all of your old posts, or you could just add it to your favorites. It makes it a lot easier to find all the posts that go with a certain subject. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been out of the loop for a long time and completely missed that Missy is coming to live with you. I think that's wonderful, and it must be a huge relief for Mare to know that her horse will have a good home with you and she'll be able to see pictures of her all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 2015 Kate- hope you get lots of riding in, and very few if any, vet visits this year. I use labels to keep my posts organized, for example, there is a list on my sidebar of labels- any posts with Beamer in them are labelled Beamer, or Our stallion. It really helps me find posts in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.