Friday, January 9, 2015

Heart Horse Transplant

Missy is on her way to me.  She left Mary at about 1:30 in the morning last night.  She'll be laying over tonight for a rest break in Lexington, Kentucky, and then will come up to me on Saturday.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing her sweet face, and getting her settled in the stall next to Dawn.

Missy is Mary's heart horse.  Taking on someone else's heart horse is a special responsibility.  I've done it once before - Dawn was my younger daughter's heart horse, and when my daughter went to college, Dawn became my special responsibility.

I lost a very special heart horse - Snow - when I was about 17.  And not only did I lose a heart horse, I had no control over where she went or how she was treated or what happened to her as she got old.

I couldn't make Mary's decision to give up Missy any easier, but I could give Mary the assurance that her special heart horse would be well-loved and well-cared for.  I hope in the end that's some comfort.

We're already planning for Mary to come visit next summer, and in the meantime, Mary will be able to follow our adventures here on this blog . . .

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like Missy will be in the very best of care and perhaps weasel her way into being another person's heart horse along the way.
    Cannot wait to follow her adventures alongside all your other wonderful horses. I am a newcomer to your blog thanks to being a follower of Mary & Missy's adventure. It is so heartwarming that you are welcoming her into your horsey heaven and that the blogosphere will be able to keep stalking her while she (and I as I'm also new to your blog) get to know your other wonderful animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for taking on her horse. As hard as it will be for Mary she'll know that her beloved horse will be taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Mary is grateful that she will know her heart horse is well loved and well cared for. It's never easy letting your heart horse go but at least Missy will have a wonderful home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for all three of you, that Missy will be so taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought tears to my eyes. Mary and Missy are both so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy is one lucky horse. You have a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So bittersweet! So many blessings that come from what you're doing Kate. Mary can rest assured knowing her Missy is in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just joined up for a second and saw this post. Oh, Kate, you are an angel to horses and to horse people. I am so sure Mary is eternally grateful. I can think of no better person in the world to take care of Missy. I would never want to part with my boys, but if I had to, you would be my very first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so wonderful that you are keenly aware of Mary's situation... plus it's pretty cool that you are both bloggers and that Mary will continue to be at least a small part of Missy's life, even if it's just by commenting on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's rare to have such a sweet transfer for a heart horse. Look forward to meeting Missy and I'm sure Mary will appreciate being able to keep up with her new life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We took on Pistol, our friend's heart horse. She loves reading about Pistol on the blog and I know it is a huge comfort to her to know where her sweet mare is and how she is doing. It's a blessing for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This should be an exciting new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless you Kate! I'm sure this makes letting go easier for Mary, and we are all looking forward to tales and photos of Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful "gift of the heart" you have given to Mary. You are a kind lady. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.